Walther Forums banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts
Had to add a step to my bi-annual mag cleaning/swapping process. Wood grip removal/cleaning/Tung oiling (following from Grips4U website).........

"Because wood is an organic material, it needs regular care to protect it from drying out.
Our grips have been treated with a blend of natural oils, therefore, we recommend that you also use natural oils (such as tung or linseed oil) to maintain their beauty. We use a mix of tung and linseed oils on our grips during production, but either one alone is suitable for ongoing care of the wood.
For cleaning the grips, it is best to use denatured alcohol or other wood-cleaning products. Never use water!
After removing any impurities, apply some oil onto the surface of the grips with a paint brush or a piece of clean cloth. For better results, warm the oil beforehand to 30-40°C (86-104°F). Apply the oil sparingly to the whole surface and then let it dry at room temperature.
Repeat this process whenever the wood dries out or - as a preventative measure - twice a year.
Never allow the grips to get wet! Moisture in the wood, especially with thinner grips, can cause them to warp, adversely affecting their fit and possibly causing rot should the moisture not be removed. Wet or damp grips can be dried using a soft absorbent cloth or paper towel, avoiding rough cloths as they can scratch the wood.
Never allow grips to dry out - they should be re-oiled to prevent drying out - as they can be weakened and prone to cracking or other damage, especially if the gun is fired or the grips tightened when they are extremely dry.
Wood grips can be damaged by abuse, so be careful to avoid impacts or situations that may chip, scratch or dent your grips to keep them looking nice. Abrasion should be avoided, especially from ill-fitting holsters (lined holsters can help protect both gun and grips), and carry weapons are particularly vulterable to such wear."

Very nice, Jimbo, those are a great addition :cool: That is the “fish scale” texture that only KSD and Klinsky produce (to the best of my knowledge). I have bought four sets of KSD grips and have been pleased with the quality for the money. I did have a hard time (and eventually gave up) getting KSD to understand the difference between a square-butt and a round-butt S&W N frame. I have the KSD fish scales on my SIG P210 and Klinsky grips similar to yours on a PP, a unique look.

Reactions: ronin11
I noticed Grips4U has started producing Target version P5 grips.
Being the Walther P5 AND wood grip fan that I am, a set was ordered this AM.
Will post up pics of them on one of my 7.65 Para (30 Luger) when they arrive.
I also have a set of NIB Walther P5 factory wood grips ('80s vintage) coming from Germany.
Good thing I have seven P5s, I'm almost running out of P5s to install all this wood on.

Reactions: druryj
Got the G4U Target grips, installed them on my shooter 9mm P5 (top right). The standard G4U grips that came off the 9mm P5 were installed on my shooter 7.65 Para P5 (lower left).
The G4U target grips feel nearly identical to the Nill target grips on my P5 Lang.
The G4U grips fit up tight and required no trimming or sanding.

Reactions: GeoNole94
Got the G4U Target grips, installed them on my shooter 9mm P5 (top right). The standard G4U grips that came off the 9mm P5 were installed on my shooter 7.65 Para P5 (lower left).
The G4U target grips feel nearly identical to the Nill target grips on my P5 Lang.
The G4U grips fit up tight and required no trimming or sanding. View attachment 96325
Looking at the top right gun, the grips are much like the Klinsky grips. The thumb rest is too low to give any support and the ergonomics suffer. The exact reason why I got rid of the only Klinsky grips I have ever owned and mounted Nills.

Those rare P88 Nill Target Grips look awesome.
Totally worth the effort of hunting them down IMO. 👍
Thanks! The thumb shelf is subtle and the hands really just all fall into place. I wouldn’t mind trading them for flat ones since my other pistols lack the shelf, but im in no hurry. I’m happy either way.

I might be able to grab some wood for the Q5 SF as well. Hoping to hear back from Earl today if it’s good to go.

Is the old texture on Nill Grips considered “fish scale texture”? I wonder how that is made.

........"Is the old texture on Nill Grips considered “fish scale texture”? I wonder how that is made."
Are you referring to any of the grip pics I posted?

........"Is the old texture on Nill Grips considered “fish scale texture”? I wonder how that is made."
Are you referring to any of the grip pics I posted?
This is in reference to a lot of the older grips with what looks like shallow stippling. The grips you have seem to have 60 degree checkering of various size. Seems like Nills from the 80s-90s used this texture, like the grips in my photo.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.