Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have shot with both types of grips, any preference? I'm thinking of getting wooden grips for my P5C but I was surprised when I got some for my PPK and actually preferred the plastic for gripping. Any thoughts?

Premium Member
I guess I don't really have a preference. On one gun or another I've got wood, rubber, plastic, and aluminum. I was going to get wood grips for my P5 but I think I'll keep the plastic ones on it for now. All of my PP's have plastic as well. The best wood grips I've got are ebony from Ahrends.

Registered
I like wood if they are near the same thickness as the plastic versions. If it alters the original feel too much I won't use them.

Premium Member
For looks, for shooting, for concealed carry? It's possible that one size does not fit all, although the wood grips that are on the market for the P5 and P5C these days sure do ring a lot of bells.

Registered
The only pistol that I have wood on is my Hi Power, and it fits like it was made for me. Wood can look great and IMHO the best wood grips look better than any other alternative. But on a practical level, plastic can be thinner, lighter, and less maintenance prone.

Premium Member
I have G4U woodies on my P5 and love them.
Did I shoot that one at the Greet and Shoot????

I shot someone's P5 with wood grips and loved the way the weapon behaved for me....having wood is good.

CRZ I've shot a P5 with both types of grips and I do prefer wood.

I also have wood on a number of my PP platform weapons. With the Grips4U when they arrive I warm some Ballistol and leave the grips in the sun for about 15 minutes or so then brush the Ballistol on the grips...it gets absorbed into the wood and really protects it...

I've also had great success with Renaissance Wax. Just remember a tiny bit goes a long long way...

Registered
Dare I say, TWSS?

Premium Member

Registered
OK then, TWSS :eek:

Reactions: olsoul

Registered
PB isn't running worth a crap tonight.

Premium Member
You do like your P5 don't you Tim...yours is a lovely weapon. Great photos too.

I'll admit to being a bit jealous but I'm not sure I'd want to EDC it because I'd hate to mar those good looks.

Reactions: ronin11

Registered
At this point I prefer the rubber Hogue grips of the design used by the Dutch Police.

I have the Grips4U woodies, which look great, but fit poorly and get loose quickly when firing. Meh, waste of money.

The stock plastic grips are perfectly functional, and far, far better than the wood grips I have.

But... I really like the rubber grips best.

To each his own.

Registered
Very nice! Is that the Nill grip on the P5 Compact or another? I'd love to get a pair.
They are factory wood grips. I haven't taken them off to see if Nill made them for Walther, but they don't feel or look like any Nills I've ever seen. I also don't think Nill sells aftermarket P5C grips, unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts