Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to get a feel for how many people pocket carry the PPK. I carry a Seecamp in my pocket regularly and I’m thinking I can get used to the weight fairly quick. What’s everyone use for a holster for theirs? I’m a big fan of Mitch Rosen and Kusiak holsters.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The PPK is certainly sized correctly for pocket carry. Whether it can be comfortably carried and effectively concealed really depends on how well constructed your pockets are.

Probably not a great candidate for dress pants or light khakis. A sturdy pair of old school dungarees might be up to the task. The size/shape of the pocket really does matter. Too big and the gun/holster will flop around. Too small and your pistol might poke outside the top or be difficult to draw with speed.

IMO, the PPK is just right for a well sized jacket or coat pocket.

The following is absolutely not 'safe' gun handling by most modern standards and I can't advocate that others follow suit...

That said, I feel as though my Ft Smith PPK/S doesn't need a holster when carried in the inside pocket of my suit jacket. If the safety is engaged AND the pistol is in double action AND your pocket fits it well enough to keep it's orientation the same direction AND you have enough discipline to keep objects out of the pocket... well, that 15lb trigger isn't going to pull itself... IIRC Walther advertises it at 13.4lbs but I'm skeptical that my personal pistol is anywhere near that light of a weight. IMO the pocket is the holster in this particular case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The PPK is certainly sized correctly for pocket carry. Whether it can be comfortably carried and effectively concealed really depends on how well constructed your pockets are.

Probably not a great candidate for dress pants or light khakis. A sturdy pair of old school dungarees might be up to the task. The size/shape of the pocket really does matter. Too big and the gun/holster will flop around. Too small and your pistol might poke outside the top or be difficult to draw with speed.

IMO, the PPK is just right for a well sized jacket or coat pocket.

The following is absolutely not 'safe' gun handling by most modern standards and I can't advocate that others follow suit...

That said, I feel as though my Ft Smith PPK/S doesn't need a holster when carried in the inside pocket of my suit jacket. If the safety is engaged AND the pistol is in double action AND your pocket fits it well enough to keep it's orientation the same direction AND you have enough discipline to keep objects out of the pocket... well, that 15lb trigger isn't going to pull itself... IIRC Walther advertises it at 13.4lbs but I'm skeptical that my personal pistol is anywhere near that light of a weight. IMO the pocket is the holster in this particular case.
Thanks angry hippo. I primarily wear jeans. I think I’ll start with a pocket holster.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Carrying with a holster is definitely the way to go.

I have no experience with Kusiak or Mitch Rosen, but anecdotally I hear they're very good.

My favorite pocketholster is the Desantis Nemesis.

One thing about pocket holsters I've found is that the little fin at the bottom/side that breaks up the outline of the gun tends to bend over time. The Desantis Nemesis seems to be one of the sturdier options in the 'budget holster' category.

I've also tried the blackhawk! pocket holsters. I find the blackhawk holsters are a bit more flimsy. They work fine but the fin material tends to bend and become floppy rather quickly.

I actually really like the sticky holsters too. The one I have fits my pocket well but suffers from the same problem of a floppy fin.

Some might argue it's better if the fin conforms to your body and is less prominent but I'm not so sure I agree. YMMV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heres a shot of the Mitch Rosen. The grain of the suede goes up so it resists pulling out of the pocket. The shape of the fin really helps with printing and he puts a urethane foam between the leather which helps also. It’s curved too.
Table Wood Bumper Wood stain Rectangle

·
Registered
403 Posts
The pictures of pocket holsters shown here made me curious whether something like this is also available for my Walther P5 compact.
Since it's quite difficult for a European to find their way around the large US market for holsters, it would be nice to name a supplier if there is another one for a pocket holster for the P5 compact.
Following the link from @Angry Hippo, I have already noticed that there is nothing with Desantis holsters.
I haven't found anything in Europe.
A pocket holster for the CZ P07 would also be interesting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pocket carry with flat base mag. Spare mag is always flat base too. (A PPK/S fits the same in these holsters.)

View attachment 101529
Those are nice pocket holsters Depenau.
The pictures of pocket holsters shown here made me curious whether something like this is also available for my Walther P5 compact.
Since it's quite difficult for a European to find their way around the large US market for holsters, it would be nice to name a supplier if there is another one for a pocket holster for the P5 compact.
Following the link from @Angry Hippo, I have already noticed that there is nothing with Desantis holsters.
I haven't found anything in Europe.
A pocket holster for the CZ P07 would also be interesting.
GeMor, here’s a link to Mitch Rosen. He may have a mold for the P5.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have a DM Bullard pocket holster for my Sig P938. I’ve never used it because I usually carry it IWB. I started pocket carrying it today to get used to the weight difference and size from the Seecamp. Not too uncomfortable. Shouldn’t be bad getting used to the PPK. This one prints like crazy 😳
Brown Sleeve Bag Material property Wood

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
The all steel PPK is probably a bad call for pocket carry; smaller and lighter works better. Think P365, G42, LCP in descending order.
Alabama Holster makes wonderful Kydex holsters; not as elegant as leather, but much thinner. They are custom to each gun.
Personally, like pocket carry; gun is always in the same place, regardless of what I'm wearing.
Lighter pants call for the lighter guns on my list.
For the OP, you may have to try some of the suggested holsters on your Walther, and make up your mind.
Moon

Reactions: Angry Hippo

·
Registered
403 Posts
I received a response from Mitch Rosen today. Unfortunately, they don't offer a pocket holster for the P5c or P5.
Can someone name another holster manufacturer in the US that offers such holster or that I should inquire about?
It doesn't have to be specifically for the P5c or P5, at least the P5c should fit in well.
But again, it has to be a pocket holster.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I received a response from Mitch Rosen today. Unfortunately, they don't offer a pocket holster for the P5c or P5.
Can someone name another holster manufacturer in the US that offers such holster or that I should inquire about?
It doesn't have to be specifically for the P5c or P5, at least the P5c should fit in well.

Give Ronin Leather a try, he does nice custom work at a reasonable price.

I normally carry my PPK or PPK/S in a TT Gunleather KX Lightweight IWB holster. Great quality and very comfortable.
Textile Rectangle Everyday carry Bag Grey

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Try Bullard gunleather. The website lists the P5.
https://bullardleather.com/

·
Registered
30 Posts
IWB for me. You guys must have bigger pockets than I. I tried carrying small pistols (not PPK, but others) and for me, it's just ahead of an ankle carry for getting to your gun. Slow because for me, the pistol shifts in my pocket and grasping the gun in my fist simply won't work. I tried carrying a Sig 365, which is a about as large as I carry...similar in weight to a PPK. I liked carrying that way no printing, although I think a PPK with its more acute angles would print a bit.

So in all respects, for me, it's IWB. Appendix carry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts