Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, before I shoot it, I thought it'd be a good idea to field strip the P99 so I could become acquainted with how it works, and how it's taken down. However, when trying to pull down the take-down catch, I simply couldn't do it. My big roommate tried it as well, with the same result. Dang thing wouldn't budge the tiniest bit. It was done exactly as described in the manual.

Any suggestions? I guess I'll just wait until I put my first set of rounds through it, but it'd be nice to know beforehand.

Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hate to sound too obvious, but was it uncocked? Then did you pull the slide back just a bit?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I would try it again.....
just so you can lube the rails....

take out the mag first....the take down "lever" should just pull straight down.......

let us know if it works

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hal8000 @ June 09 2006,3:46)]Hate to sound too obvious, but was it uncocked? Then did you pull the slide back just a bit?
Wow... The manual says nothing about pulling back the slide a bit. But that's the trick. Easy as pie
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I noticed this too -

My first P99 was a 2004 compact - the manual said to pull the slide back a bit, but I don't have to do this. If you look at the little tab on the plunger that engages the barrel it is smooth.

My second P99 was a 2006 fullsize - the manual with that one says nothing about pulling the slide back a bit - but I do have to do this, if you look at the plunger tab it has a bit of a hook to it. When I first got it I was trying to do the same as the compact, pull the takedown catch and it pops free - but no dice. Then I remembered reading about the pull the slide back a bit thing in my other manual, and that worked. Also, it got easier once I re-oiled and worked the action a bit - the fullsize was really dry from the factory.

Seems there's slight variations in the takedown plunger tip where it meets the barrel and they got the manuals backwards?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Manual? You guys read the manual? You probably ask for directions when you are "miss-located" while driving too....

Just kidding...but really, why read the manual when you can get such good information from a bunch of wonderful people as you can find on this board.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts