Walther Forums banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Ozone is great at destroying rubber type Polymers. Electric motors (such as fan motors) will destroy nearby rubber products in a few years.

This is common knowledge in the SCUBA gear industry. The topic was discussed in my SCUBA certification class over 35 years ago.

Want to destroy a $1k BCD, or rubber fin straps? Store them in a garage with a Washer/Drier that gets used regularly. Or in the closet of a room with a ceiling fan that runs during the summer months.

"Ozonation of Polymers" Ozonation of Polymers

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wonder if these might work on a P99 Walther - PPQ - Page 1 - Taylorfreelance
If the ribs and cavities of TF's backstrap are machined identical to the PPQ's, then it will not clear the circular protrustion at the rear of the P99's grip:

Automotive exterior Auto part Electric blue Font Bumper

Sleeve Everyday carry Electric blue Font Gadget

Watch Kitchen utensil Handgun holster Electric blue Tool

The P99's backstrap, however, fits most of the way onto the back of the PPQ's grip:

Bumper Electric blue Font Composite material Metal

With a little bit of pressure at the bottom, though, it will seat all the way in and the retention pin can be inserted to hold the P99 backstrap flush. However, I don't like the idea of forcing parts to fit as something might break in the long run.

This little exercise leads me to conclude that the PPQ and P99 backstraps share the same dimensions and mounting points, and that a backstrap intended for a PPQ can almost certainly be made to fit a P99 by hollowing out the ribs just enough to clear the circular protrusion. There will be a very slight mismatch in the contours between the PPQ grip and P99 backstrap, and the stippling patterns obviously will not be the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There may be a generational thing with the p99, but mine (1998) doesn't have the circular protrusion.

The rectangular center ridge on mine runs all the way to where the bottom of the circle on the pic above is, and it all protrudes the same distance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ozone is great at destroying rubber type Polymers. Electric motors (such as fan motors) will destroy nearby rubber products in a few years.

This is common knowledge in the SCUBA gear industry. The topic was discussed in my SCUBA certification class over 35 years ago.

Want to destroy a $1k BCD, or rubber fin straps? Store them in a garage with a Washer/Drier that gets used regularly. Or in the closet of a room with a ceiling fan that runs during the summer months.

"Ozonation of Polymers" Ozonation of Polymers
What's odd is that they didn't make it out of the same stuff as the polymer frame, and that when they decided to use a different material they apparently didn't spend any time considering the durability of that material.

I have a bunch of polymer pistols, the P99 is the only one I have that is falling apart in my hand. Still mad customer service just told me to call earls and hope they have replacements and didn't even try to help.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts