Walther Forums banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jetcycles, where do you live? Is it a climate like Central America?
I apologize for the incomplete profile, I'll fix that asap! I'm just a bit south of Houston, TX and I'd be willing to bet it feels hot/humid like much of Central America during this time of year! This pistol has been stored inside of my safe which sits inside of a climate controlled home for 99.9% of the time that I've owned it, and I've owned it since it was new. The interchangeable back straps have ALWAYS been inside of the original purchase case, while the pistol has been primarily stored outside of that case but in the same gun safe. I'm hesitant to part with it because I'm not the type to potentially pass on a problem to anyone without doing further research, hence my participation and interest in this thread. I'll upload photos this evening as soon as I can get the girls to bed, and I suppose I should start a formal introduction thread seeing as this is my 2nd post in 5 years. I haven't noticed any other plastic/polymer discoloration or degradation on anything else in the safe...ever.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just to throw this out as a theory:

It is well known in toy collector circles that that rubbery plastics and PVC don't mix well. On the old '70s GI Joes it was common to find wetsuits and other rubbery accessories melting when in contact with PVC figures.

Is the storage case PVC foam reacting with the rubbery inserts? This would explain inserts falling apart when stored in the case but the one on the gun being fine when stored outside, and both falling apart when stored together.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Handy: you have an interesting theory there (sorry, much better than Zika), but I suspect we are reaching the outer end of our resouces here.
Much probably Walther already knows the problem and the answer of it, but they won't even accept it existed.
For what is worth, my P99 was in a a steel box, along with other arms and 2 warming rods. The backstraps were in a drawer of a toolbox, with other steel tools and gunparts, don't rememeber any other pvc parts near them.
Best regards.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Were you able to get replacements? I know that shipping gun parts internationally is a problem because of UN arms trafficking treaties.

Seems like someone here might be willing to add what you need to their parts order from Walther USA.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thanks Handy:
Yes, I bought 2 pieces (unce for each gun, my own and my pal's) from Earl repair Service thru a good friend, a bit pricey but good service.
I hope the new parts last forever of until the end of time, whichever comes first.
I understand Magnum research also have them at even a lower price, but I had already ordered mine.
The new parts are a bit more opaque then the older, and they have a little different stipling, too.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Thanks Handy:
Yes, I bought 2 pieces (unce for each gun, my own and my pal's) from Earl repair Service thru a good friend, a bit pricey but good service.
I hope the new parts last forever of until the end of time, whichever comes first.
I understand Magnum research also have them at even a lower price, but I had already ordered mine.
The new parts are a bit more opaque then the older, and they have a little different stipling, too.
The MR9 inserts are internally different and would had to have been modified to work. So that's probably okay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After pulling my pistol case and refreshing my memory, I empathize with some of you regarding your parts as mine are nowhere near as bad. Some of what has been posted appears to be obviously defective in comparison to my own, Walther should step up and correct the issue. Mine appear slightly "frosted" yet remain quite pliable and remain fully intact even after a good wipe with a dry cloth and a fairly abusive flex test. The nuances of my discoloration are difficult to capture. If anyone in Houston does 3D printing or molding, I'll gladly drop these off to have them duplicated if it helps some of you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Old thread, same problem here. Grip insert is crumbling and breaking up, probably tropical weather (?) related since I live in Puerto Rico. Newcomer to the forum, trying to locate the inserts since I purchased this gun used and it only had the installed insert. Whatever these things are made up of, it's not the same polymer material as the frame. I can dig my finger nail into the edge of the insert and I can shave off a sliver off the insert with just finger pressure. Just contacted Walther, let's see how they answer now since I've read they are somehow improving their CS ?

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
If Walther can't help you can always get a set from Earl's Repair. However, I do think Walther CS should send replacements.

As to the tropical climate being the issue, I'm not so sure. I live in south Florida and my weapons are exposed to the same type of climate and none of my grips show any tendency to disintegrate. I'm wondering if it is a bad polymer mixture rather then the climate.

Reactions: algarin

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Costa Rica, Philippines, nd now Puesto Rico... Well, tropical climate could be a cause of thos problem.
I bought 2 inserts from Earl's and another one in Ebay.
But of course, Walther warranty service should be the one answering your, at least.
Good luck with your problem, sir.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got an answer from Walther CS

Reposting what I got back from Walther:

"Fidel —

We could sell this part. Just give us a call and we’ll help out your way.

Casey Craig
Gun Technician
Walther Arms, Inc.
479-242-8500 ext. 7
[email protected]
7700 Chad Colley Blvd, Fort Smith, AR 72916
www.WaltherArms.com"

I will try to call and see how this unwinds, since it now seems to be a common and repeating failure. They should at least try to reproduce this failure, by exposing some test inserts to UV, heat, or common chemicals anyone could be using to clean their guns. Something out there must be incompatible with this material.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have a walnut grip insert so problem solved.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine are just like new. (I have the S&W99, same frame as Walther).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got the same problem, i just made a wooden backstrap in turkish walnut , it fits really fine, its ok for a twenty years service piece

·
Registered
39 Posts
i order to from Earl, mine also disintegrating, i buy the gun Used the previous owner don't used for about a year before i buyed

i live in Panama so tropical Weather to

·
Registered
5 Posts
Adding another data point to this old thread. All three of my 1998 production P99 backstraps crumbled. The gun was stored in a safe in my climate controlled home, the spares were stored in the factory Walter box in the top of a closet. When the one on the gun cracked I went to get a different size and they just broke apart when I picked them up.

So anyone have an STL file to print a new one, sounds like we need it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Not surprised they are disintegrating as any rubber product starts to deteriorate as soon as it is made. Some compounds just last longer than others. I have shoes just sitting in a closet for a few years and the soles become mush. Handles on some tools go bad.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts