Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
AT Last! I Am not alone

It seems wrong to be happy that someone else has your same problems, but I was starting to feel paranoic...
Anyway, as Costa Rica and the Philipines share the same humidity problem (85 to 99 %), so maybe these teutonic gunmakers did come with some rubber compound that stands almost anything... but the tropics.

As to the answer, I requested Earls for a replacement and I hope to receive them today. Besides I started to carve a backstrap from softwood and the results are nothing to be proud of.
To use some clay, I don't know. In my match shooting days, almost everyone used to customize its grips and the most used compound was some putty called plasticwood or something. Try searching wood putty at amazon or somewhere else.
But, I don't know if these putties adhere to steel or you are going to model a stand-alone part.
On the other part, either Earl and Magnum Research did answer my mails and they have these backstraps. If you have a friend with a US address, he can order them for you, that was what I did.
Jun225, I wish you the best of luck with your P-99.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi everyone:

I've just received the expected backstraps, one small for me and one medium for my pal. The price, some day I'll forget it, but at last I can shout the famous sentence attributed to Dr. Frankenstein:
It's alive, again!
At this moment I am in my job, so I cannot try it, but just wait....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
tf2addict:
i had the same idea at first, but locating a shop that do small 3d printing and don't charge me an eye and the other half...
Well, I ended up buying from Mr. Earl.
Besides, if the shop job is not perfect the first time, I do not picture myself walking into a nerd's office and pulling my P99 saying: you see, the job you did has this little flaw...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

i had the same problem with my walther P99 the grip just desintegrated itself by storaging it for 4 years, in my country is hard to find the grips, i tried to find a 3D model in the web but it was impossible, so lastly i adapt the grip of an airsoft Replica, but it was so weak, i added a epoxy polymer in to the grip, now a days the gun is in perfect conditions.

Hope this will result useful for someone with the same problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Dear Colombianguy:
I was in a similar problem, because Walther (America or Germany) was not of any help, so I found in this forum the best advises.
If you can read previous posts, you'll find they suggested Earl's repair service, Magnum Research and 2 more.
Both Magnum and Earl's answered my inquires and I finally puchased 2 backstraps from Earl's. Not cheap, but fast service.
I cannot give you any suggestion as how to bring those items from the US to your country, but we in Latin America have a reputation for getting things done and I hope you can do it.
In the end, I am most grateful wth the gentlemen in this forums, since they showed me the best way to get what I needed.
Saludos.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi, I am glad you were able to get a replacement. I read your post and immediately went to check my 1998 made P99 (I hadn't even looked at the gun in years). All three back straps were still pliable.

The two in the zip lock plastic bag looked like new, the one that is installed on the gun looked a little "dry' though. I hit it with a bit of Ballistol and it looks like new now.

I live in a cold damp climate, so that may be why mine are still in good condition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took a picture of my disintegrated backstrap so everyone will have an idea what it looks like. Mine just turned brittle and powdery white.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Looks like they made that one out of rock candy, which you don't much see in stores anymore. With good reason, apparently.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
CAR: that looks much worse than my own, or my pal's, backstraps.
Ours simply turned into brittle rubber, but the external appearance did not change.

MGMike: ¿in what way? In no way, they simple answered me that they were really sorry but they could not sell any part to my country, and I should contact Walther of Germany (which I did and got the same answer).

That sound like a serious answer, except if I had knew that before buying the P99, I had chosen Glock instead and I would have a local dealer with full parts and accessories inventory.
That's why, when looking for a sub compact pistol a few years later, I pick the Glock P26 instead and never had to regret it.
You see, I love Walthers (I own five of them, which is more than I can afford), but not THAT much.
Regards. __________________
Shooting Walthers and old German stuff in the happiest country of the world (so they say)

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I just checked the back straps that have sitting in the case for 16 years, and they're as pliable as they were when I bought it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
This thread yet again shows Walther attitude toward customer service. See image in post #28, then decide if this is user error or manufacturing flaw. Obviously a manufacturing flaw with the material yet Walther exhibits their same pattern of denying the problem exists, not supporting the customer and maybe accusing the customer of doing something to the pistol. Also lack of interest in identifying a manufacturing process problem that needs to be corrected.
Customer purchases replacement part after going on an odyssey
Result: Customer decides next time to buy a Glock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My P99 is handled like any other gun I have. I am no stranger to polymer (CZ100, Glock 19) so my P99 got the same treatment like any other firearm I have. When I got my P99 (someone owned it for 16 years prior to myself) the medium backstrap was the one attached to it and had a nick near where the pin lock is. I asked him about it and said that the backstrap seem to be crumbling when you grip the gun. True enough as i gripped the gun firmly it literally fell apart. I got hold of the large backstrap to replace the one attached. The remaining two backstraps sat perpetually untouched in the gun case until I got the large one. I snug it in place and carefully tapped in the pin to lock it in place. I never had any doubt about it until it too started to crumble. I couldn't believe what was happening. I tried the small backstrap and I got the same messed up result. I was in shock! How could a high-end, world-class, beautifully engineered firearm made by a famous gunmaker bungled up a part such as a backstrap? I mean it is a gun and it is supposed to endure so much like rough handling, elements, weather, plus ammo pressure, etc. This particular gun was never abused as you can see from my earlier pictures from my first posts. Everything is prestine...except for the straps. I mean it is a Limited Edition.

One thing I've noticed based on postings that us in the tropics seem to be the ones experiencing this particular concern. But then again shouldn't parts be capable of withstanding weather...right?

I love my Walther, but I still wonder about what happened to my backstraps.

Jun

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... they simple answered me that they were really sorry but they could not sell any part to my country, and I should contact Walther of Germany (which I did and got the same answer).

Amazing. "Sell?" The sensible, practical and responsible reaction from either of the two Walthers would have been to drop the three rubber parts into an envelope and mail them to you with no invoice. How much effort could that have taken?

M

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
MGMike:
You're correct. A part replacement, as soon as you can, is the best way to keep a customer being a customer, and to avoid bad exposure.
For my experience, that's was the old Walther, when they took care of the brand, the image, the name.
Now, being owned by a corporation, all they care about is the next quarter numbers and their shares' quotes.
I still have a sweet spot for the brand, have 5 pistols with that name on it, sadly the 6th, my father in law's PPK, was stolen a couple years ago, and I don´t believe I will ever buy a new Walther in my life.
An old P-38 or PPK maybe, but I believe I had enough of the new management's attitude.
Sorry for this disgression, It went way off topic.
Take care.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't post around here very often, if at all, but this thread has had my attention since day one. While contemplating offloading my first gen P99 .40 in favor of a CZ P07, I dug out the original box to inspect the contents and my unused backstraps have turned a grey color indeed. My pistol has less than 200 rounds through it and has sat as a safe queen (although not in the box) since it was new. If, by some odd chance the disintegration is related to storage conditions, those conditions are likely attributed to the original storage case or storage foam. I'll try to take a few pics when I arrive home this evening.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If memory serves, the La Chasse model was offered with a wooden grip insert. Curious that this is happening in Costa Rica and Columbia.

Rothenfluh

21 - 40 of 66 Posts