Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It's important to do it before first use as well - sometimes, but not always, they come packed in a really nasty sticky grease, and you don't want that in there in use.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For me, frequency depends on how much I shoot and how many mags I use per gun.

I try to shoot my carry pistol once a week, and I have four magazines that I use for each practice session. I typically shoot 50-100 rounds per session, so that comes out to each magazine being used one or two times. So I disassemble and clean the mags about every quarter, but I also don't usually drop them in the dirt (I shoot outdoors). When I drop the mags on the ground I always blow them out with an air compressor.

Works for me.

-------------------------------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Do you guys disassemble and clean your mags?
You are supposed to.

Just keep in mind that it should be dry when you are done. A loaded cartridge should never touch any section of the pistol that has lube or solvent on it.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have never....not once. I spray them out....that’s it.

Thousands and thousands of rounds.

Mags I carry are fresh.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I have never....not once. I spray them out....that’s it.

Thousands and thousands of rounds.

Mags I carry are fresh.

Well, there are people (I won't let them in the house) who never shower or change their underwear; they just spray on more deodorant. That's it. Thousands and thousands of days go by.

They are fresh, all right...and ripe.

M

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I guarantee you would want this “people” standing next to you hitting bad guys or on your Bullseye team 🙂

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
I guarantee you would want this “people” standing next to you hitting bad guys or on your Bullseye team 🙂

Just because you've yet to experience a failure does not mean yours is good advice. We have entire threads here, multiples, of problems that were cleared up with a good cleaning of magazines.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Just because you've yet to experience a failure does not mean yours is good advice. We have entire threads here, multiples, of problems that were cleared up with a good cleaning of magazines.
Truer words have seldom been written.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Look....I am not giving ANY advice at all. I am just saying I have about 8,000 rounds through a magazine that has never been taken apart. Not once.

But, I’ll do this....I’ll take it apart and post pictures.

I have never taken apart a single magazine for any firearm 🙂

Don’t do as I do....I am just sharing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just took it apart. It’s not even dirty.
I have never disassembled any of my magazines either. I never have encountered any problems in thousands of rounds through various pistols and magazines. I clean the follower and under the lips, and just a quick wipe of the body of the magazine. I will only disassemble one when it starts to have issues. Then it will most likely be time for either a new magazine spring, or an entirely new magazine.

Now I say this as a shooter that shoots mostly at indoor ranges. Also, I never drop my magazines on the ground/floor. Where I shoot at is an environment that is relatively free of dust or dirt. If I was shooting in dirty conditions, or dropping my magazines outdoors, then I would most definitely disassemble them for a deeper cleaning. I worry about my magazine springs wearing out before anything else going wrong with them. That is after decades of shooting pistols and using magazines.

I am only relating my experience, and am NOT telling anybody what else to do. Again, if I had feeding problems or suspected something wrong with a magazine, then I would surely disassemble and clean it/inspect it. The same would happen if I was a heavy outdoor shooter, and especially if I had my magazines hitting the ground. But, those do not apply to me, and sine I have not had any failures, I just give them a basic cleaning without disassembly. When a problem happens, I will do what I have to at that point. That is just my scenario and my experience.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I started to disassemble and inspect new magazines after encountered and resolved some feed issues that were caused by those little flashings that were present on a few magazine followers.
Also discover that the manufactures oil was thick and attracted dirt and fouling. Thus cleaned and wiped excess clp oil.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I choose to not just clean (every 6 months), but also swap the 3 mags kept loaded for my EDC (PPQ45).

The pic below shows the SHORTEST spring of my 3 rested mags (top). This mag held 10rds (not the full 12rds) for 6 months, was then unloaded and sat for 6 months.

The bottom mag spring is the LONGEST spring of my 3 loaded mags, held 10 rds for 6 months, unloaded, disassembled, and photographed.
These mags are all loaded up for range sessions.

I chose the shortest unloaded and longest loaded to show the MINIMAL length difference between my 6 mags (3 carried/3 rested).

Mag cleaning/not cleaning, and swapping/not swapping discussions are no different then texting while driving discussions with teens. It's NEVER a problem, until it is.

Ignore Murphy's law at your OWN peril.

Attachments

Reactions: imaoldfart

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Yea...not gonna start. Waste of time for me.

I don’t carry....but I shoot a lot.

All personal preference.

Some look for "frog hairs" in their maintenance routine, others don't.

I EDC, and therefore, hunt the "frog hairs".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts