Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit disappointed. I was loooking forward to the big gun show at the Astrodome in order to buy a P99 Military 9mm (preferably the A/S model). No one around here can get one, and I also tried Carter's in Houston.

I know i can get one on the net, but I refuse to spend several hundred dollars on a gun that I haven't had in my hands and looked at. So, I'm stuck for now...

·
Registered
328 Posts
I got mine from CDNN sight unseen. I'm very pleased with it. Just set up my new duty belt around it and it will be one of my duty weapons after qualifications.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Shipwreck, i'd hold off until the Reliant Center (Astrodome) Gun Show. It is Oct. 15 & 16. Last time I went to the Reliant Show, it was huge. I'd be surprised if you did not find exactly what you are looking for there.
John

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[b said:
Quote[/b] (r1blur @ Aug. 31 2005,20:31)]Shipwreck, i'd hold off until the Reliant Center (Astrodome) Gun Show. It is Oct. 15 & 16. Last time I went to the Reliant Show, it was huge. I'd be surprised if you did not find exactly what you are looking for there.
John
That's why I am disappointed. It is cancelled. Everything scheduled at the dome is cancelled thru December. They are taking the refugges from Louisiana...

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MSNBC had a story about the Astrodome, and it said that all events have been cancelled thru Dec. I called Carters today to ask if they had a P99, and after they said no, they also said that all events have been cancelled at the astrodome/hall...

·
Registered
30 Posts
that is surprising they would cancel all the events at the Reliant Center. Lot of revenue they will be missing out on. Maybe HGCA will hold the show some place else. Might keep watch on their website to see if they post an alternate location. www.hgca.org

in the meantime, you are still welcome to try my QA when you venture down to Houston. I have two now and had to order the second one several weeks ago b/c none were to be found in Houston.

John

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thanks. I am trying to combine a trip to Ikea once they get a couple of items ins tock with a trip for shooting. Gas priced will jump to over $3 a gallon here tomorrow. So, I gotta try to conserve a little bit...

I'll keep an eye on that website

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well they're kinda using the Reliant Center to house hurricane victims. But I do know that Collectors Arms has about 5 or 6 brand new P99AS's in black and a used 03 in OD. They're a little on the high side (actually some stuff they must think is 24k gold) but not unreasonable on the P99's.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have to check them out, but usually they are EXTREMEMLY high in their price for handguns... I may hold out for another gun show or something. I don't wanna pay too much.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I went to the show at the George R Brown a couple of weeks ago (bought a Mosin thankyouverymuch) and saw exactly 2 P99's 1 was a P99cAS and the other was a P99QA. A whole lot of P22's, almost bought one for $230. Lots of places would be happy to order one for you, but not many have them. I think Collectors was asking $650 for the new 04/05 AS and they wanted about $525 for the 03 in OD. So yeah, they're on the high side of reasonable. I'm sure they'll haggle some.

·
Registered
112 Posts
ShipWreck,
You are very correct in being cautious about buying off the internet. I have used several of the internet auction sites and can confirm that it is in fact very risky. What makes the problem even worse is that that the auction sites such as gunbroker make their money off the sellers so my experience has been that are are not very responsive to requests for assistance from a buyer that has been ripped off, as they make their money whether the seller was honest or if the seller was a thief, they still get their cut. My personal experience has been that gunbroker is the worst of all of them. While their graphics seem the nicest and have a great deal listed, my experience has included getting some nice deals from that site but also been ripped off by thiefs and gunbroker seems to defend sellers that have aquired even huge amounts of negative feedback, they still support them and let them continue to peddle garbage. So, could not agree with you more about being skeptical of buying something without being able to handle it first. I now use the auction sites just to shop around then I order from a reputable local shop that adds only a modest profit onto the item which is usually comparable to what I would have paid in shipping anyway if buying off the auction site, and he incurs all the risk of getting the item to me exactly as represented.

·
Registered
30 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ Sep. 03 2005,10:18)]How much heavier does the QA feel compared to a Glock?
shipwreck, the QA seems significantly heavier than the glock.
i really like the ergonomics of the P99 so i forced myself get use to the heavier QA trigger. I do like the short QA pull though. traded my glock 19 and now i own two P99, both QA.
John

·
Registered
821 Posts
I believe that's correct, the QA has a heavier trigger, but there is less "stacking", less travel, and a quicker reset out of the QA.

-stunks

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Glock's stock trigger pull is about 5.5 lbs. The stock QA's is about 8.5, mine is about 6 lbs with the 4.5" Wolff Glock striker spring swapped in. When we actually get to go shooting you'll get to try it and I'll tell you that it's a night and day difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts