Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To be more specific, I want to modify it so that it does NOT lock my slide, i.e. render it inoperative.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have big hands and I am activating the slide lock and/or placing pressure on it and I am getting FTEs and slide locks. I have a good solid grip and I rather disable it than retrain my grip.

BTW, I have a new extractor, the extra-strength extractor spring, ammo is hitting 130 pf and above.

Someone recommended filing off the tab on the mag follower, but I'm not sure this will help.

Thanks,

J.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
I have big hands and I am activating the slide lock and/or placing pressure on it and I am getting FTEs and slide locks. I have a good solid grip and I rather disable it than retrain my grip. Someone recommended filing off the tab on the mag follower, but I'm not sure this will help.
No, the follower is not in play while rounds remain in the magazine. As for grip adjustment....have you tried moving the right thumb on top of the slide lock using it as a rest (assuming you are right handed)?

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I have big hands and I am activating the slide lock and/or placing pressure on it and I am getting FTEs and slide locks. I have a good solid grip and I rather disable it than retrain my grip.

BTW, I have a new extractor, the extra-strength extractor spring, ammo is hitting 130 pf and above.

Someone recommended filing off the tab on the mag follower, but I'm not sure this will help.

Thanks,
J.

You've probably thought of this but couldn't you cut it down so it's out of your way?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You've probably thought of this but couldn't you cut it down so it's out of your way?
No, the follower is not in play while rounds remain in the magazine. As for grip adjustment....have you tried moving the right thumb on top of the slide lock using it as a rest (assuming you are right handed)?

thanks I will try it.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
I suggest you remove the slide and look at the two points of contact on the slide stop. The heavier plastic stub is what the follower contacts to actually lift the slide stop and the short metal stub catches the slide as it moves forward. They are approx. 5/8" apart and take up the center of the slide stop lever. If you attempt to remove plastic from either end you risk failure of the stubs to perform correctly and probably have the same issue based on you description of the support hand position.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, the only way to "disable" it would be to remove the stub that locks the slide. Problem is it won't ever function again.

I occasionally have this issue too, but it's my strong hand (rt) thumb that bumps it. Not only my PPQ but my SP2022 and occasionally my M&P. Happens more when I shoot a 1911 first as I ride the safety. I've had to move my thumb over a bit.

These guys chopped the lever.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Couldn't the slide release lever be cut down to a nub on the "thumb side" of the pistol but be left intact on the "shooting finger" side of the gun?

That way, the pistol could be gripped as high as possible without the slide release lever getting in the way??

Releasing the slide could be accomplished using the trigger finger with a little retraining.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Couldn't the slide release lever be cut down to a nub on the "thumb side" of the pistol but be left intact on the "shooting finger" side of the gun?

That way, the pistol could be gripped as high as possible without the slide release lever getting in the way?? <snip>
That's what the video above shows. Maybe not a nub but enough to clear the uses hand.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
That's what the video above shows. Maybe not a nub but enough to clear the uses hand.
I know. I'm proposing to cut it down even further. Until it's pretty much gone. Get it as out of the way as possible so the support hand can grip the gun as high as possible without a lever to rub against.

The trigger finger slide release lever could still be used and you still have the advantage of slide lock when clearing malfunctions.

It's just a thought but might work.

Is Walther selling slide release levers to experiment with?

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
The meaty part of the top of my support hand is lifting it up.

Have you watched the video? If so, is your hold similar to the shooter in the video? Would be good to see a photo of your grip because your description sounds somewhat different than the shooter?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts