Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on the forum here yesterday that the new Walther PPK Made in AK is not the same as the older ones. Are the dimensions different? They had a picture of the new one made in AK in the Rifleman a few months ago and it just looked a little different. (I wound up buying a NIB 1978 model.) :confused:

·
Registered
592 Posts
It would take a gunsmith/engineer to determine all actual design differences, but Fort Smith "PP series" .380 ACP pistols combine several key features of previous production variants. Four key examples (in the following three bullets) are:
-- Fort Smith "PP series" pistols have a rear sight that is an integrated part of the slide; it is not dovetailed. While not a perfect replication, I liken it to the original ZM (Zella Mehils, Germany) slide; and,
-- Fort Smith "PP series" pistols have retained the single continous feed ramp and the extended tang; both first used in Smith and Wesson "PP series" pistols; and,
-- Fort Smith "PP series" pistols are stainless steel; only US made "Walthers" (Ranger / S&W / Fort Smith) were made with stainless steel.

Another unique aspect of the Fort Smith "PP series" pistol is that the slide is made in Germany and the frame is made in the US; assembly is in the US.

·
Registered
592 Posts
A question for our Walther Forum Comrades in Germany - - - are Fort Smith PPK/S pistols available in Germany yet?

It would be neat to have a Forth Smith PPK/S or PPK pistol with German proof marks! If Walther USA could figure out a way to get German proofs on their PPK/S & PPK pistols, I wager they'd appeal even more to the "collectors" Walther USA appeals to with their TALO advertiements.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
A question for our Walther Forum Comrades in Germany - - - are Fort Smith PPK/S pistols available in Germany yet?

It would be neat to have a Forth Smith PPK/S or PPK pistol with German proof marks!
I can't imagine there being a market for the PPK/S in Germany. German made PPKs and PPs are available in abundance there, for pennies, compared to the US. And the whole point of the PPK/S's existence is the US GCA of 1968 that made import of the PPK illegal thus the hybrid of PP and PPK was created and called the PPK/S.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
They are not listed on the website, and I didn't see any ads at German, Austrian, or Swiss gun dealers. I'd even a bet that an inquiry at Walther Germany about the availability of the PPK and PPK/S would be answered that these guns have been out of production for 20 years.

For a new PPK made by Smith & Wesson the price I had to pay about $1.200 and to wait about 18 weeks. For the same money I can buy several nice or NIB postwar PPK models almost everywhere at any time. On the webshop of my LGS I can count today the following quantity of vintage models:
- 11 PP
- 24 PPK
- 6 PPK-L

Of these 41 pistols only one is chambered in .22lr while all the other 40 guns are chambered in .32 ACP. None of the guns are:
- a PPK/S or a PPK/E
- chambered in .380 ACP
- made in the US

You can see it clearly. Here, on this side of the Atlantic, nobody ever longed for the US made PPK and PPK/S models. A PPK/S is even more or less unknown here.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Case in point, checked the listings on egun.de, and look at "buy it now" (SofortKauf) listings only, I don't see why anyone in D/A/CH would want a US made Walther:

A PPS M2 on the other hand is listed for 750 Euros/

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just thinking of the "Walther King" and his "Walther Castle," which included Ulm/IA, Ranger and S&W flavors of the PPK/S. I'm sure a Fort Smith PPK/S would have found its way into the castle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts