Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new P99 home and was pleasently surprised by the mag release levers ease of operation. Other P99's I have seen have a release lever about 10 mm long. My new P99 has a lever about 2.5 times longer. I love it! I can drop the mag with my trigger finger in one smooth move. Is this a recent change to the P99?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought my 40 cal in June of 2005 with a 2005 date code and it looks exactally like that. Super easy to dump the mag. Overall an excellent weapon.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Be aware..... but don't hold me to my word now though

but there apparently is holstermakers that say the old style holsters don't fit the new mag release .......
so you might wanna try it before you buy a holster
mine all got the old style and I am happy with it......
Now I wish i had another P99c with a AE datecode

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's good to know uncut. I'll be looking for a holster in the coming months. In fact, I've recently sent an email to Blackhawk Industries' R&D department regarding their SERPA holster and whether or not they could make one for the P99.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
A few that have come with lots of recomendation

Comp-tac, Blade-Tech.... recently some said Fist holsers are good too .....
if you are looking for a leather holster.... try Earl's repair.... he got pretty much any holsters for any Walther out there....

sorry about not posting it in links but I am on a different computer ......
just remember to tell them that you got the new style trigger release and make sure they know what you are taking about with the new mag release

·
Registered
69 Posts
As far as holsters are concerned, Comp-Tac still does not have one for the new version. I just ordered the Blade Tech Sting Ray Belt holster for my 2005 P99. The person that took my order kept me on the line while they looked up a picture of the P99 with the new mag release. They told me it will fit and they took my order. Only draw back is the 5 week delivery time.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
yuppers..... 5 weeks....
I still have like 3 weeks to go if not 4, I kinda forgot...
I ordered a shirt tucker from Blade-tech due to the different sizes of belt-loops and clips they offer..... I have 2 belts with 2 inch width and that was my deciding factor for that

oh and chp2150, if it don't fit yout P99 you can return it....I think they have that in their paperwork somewhere in writing...

·
Registered
93 Posts
The magazine release isn't the issue.

The issue is the different profile of the part of the frame in front of the trigger guard.

The accessory rail profile was changed.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
ok
anybody able to present a side by side pic to see what difference we are looking at......

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
From Walther America (hope this gives you an idea... even though the Desert Sand has the old release). Notice the weaver rail on the Desert Sand vs the angled rail on the earlier models.   Trigger guard is also different.

Pre-2004

Post-2004

Added:
Post-2005

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
but the rail change had been made in 2004...... there has been a post about a holster maker saying there is a change on the newer Walther's with the new mag release and that's why they won't fint anymore.....
I know about the "rail change"......from closed to open

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well after posting it, I figured you as well as many others knew that already uncut.

Well if that's not the issue then exactly what is the issue? I do see that a lot of Fobus holsters have are made for the pre-04 with angles in the front portion of the frame. But many have holsters for post 04 correct?

I checked out the holsters you mention uncut .. as soon as we can get some clarification, I'll be ordering a shirt-tucker model as well. May just be a simple phone call to the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I do belive if I remeber that Post correct,,, that the Person was trying to get a holster from Comp-Tac and that he was told there, that the new mag release P99's won't fit the older style holsters.....so it might just be a call away.......
I am sure as there been many post about the comp-tac holsters that they have made some for the open rail P99's ..... so I thought there was another change made that would have affected the holstering of P99's with new mag release

that's why I ask to see pics of the P99 with new mag release compared to the older style.... wasn't thinking of the pre 2004's though only the old and new style mag release and maybe buttom of frame to see what the difference was....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am glad I started this form. I now realize I was looking at the wrong code for the production year. I thought I had a 2003 pistol, but instead it is 2005.

Makes me happy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts