Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shot my Canik SFX to range yesterday and shot great.

today, to my RIA ultra tac cs9mm which I just received and never shot...couldn't have shot worse! So many shots high I couldn't count them.

Maybe difference in the triggers??

Help...all advice welcome and needed

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
Changing back and forth among two very different guns is a challenge for most shooters, Katie.
And different trigger types make it worse. Presume the Canik has a glockish striker system, while the RIA is more 1911?
If you really want to get better, concentrate on one gun. Getting off/on a striker trigger is hard.

Moon

Reactions: Jimmo952

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
think you may be right

Changing back and forth among two very different guns is a challenge for most shooters, Katie.
And different trigger types make it worse. Presume the Canik has a glockish striker system, while the RIA is more 1911?
If you really want to get better, concentrate on one gun. Getting off/on a striker trigger is hard.

Moon

Yes the RIA is a compact 1911 & has the 1911 trigger - also proper grip on1911 with rt thumb riding the safety is really different. a friend has this RIA, and I shot it once for several rounds and really liked it...I thought.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You are overthinking all this so called "less than desirable" shooting.
A person who owns a corvette doesnt mean they are a skilled driver......just saying.
You own alot of different platforms. Find one you are the most accurate with and sell the rest.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts

Moon

This is spot on.

I'll shoot multiple guns in several calibers (50AE/45acp/9mm) during a range session, having better results with some then others, but I ALWAYS shoot my PPQ 45 last, with exceptional results. That's why it's my carry, the Q seems to "know" where I want the rounds to go.

The HK P7M13 has provided me with the same results, seems to read my mind. It will become a summer carry.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts

Moon
Halfmoon is absolutely right Katie. For the best results, pick a platform and concentrate on that for a while.

If you like the Canik/Walther type gun, do most of your shooting with that. You will build up muscle memory related to the trigger pull, grip angle, ... and you will progress faster as a shooter.

Remember too progress is not linear. Everyone has good days and bad days. The difference is, as your skill level increases, your bad days will still be pretty darn good!

Dont give up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Halfmoon is absolutely right Katie. For the best results, pick a platform and concentrate on that for a while.

If you like the Canik/Walther type gun, do most of your shooting with that. You will build up muscle memory related to the trigger pull, grip angle, ... and you will progress faster as a shooter.

Remember too progress is not linear. Everyone has good days and bad days. The difference is, as your skill level increases, your bad days will still be pretty darn good!

Dont give up.

To you and Moon...and MOST others- good advice

·
Registered
50 Posts
It may be one does not fit your hand very well. I sold my Glocks BC they always pointed high for me, while the PPQ and 1911's were dead on. when this happens, there's really three choices, learn to adapt to the weapon, modify weapon if you can, or eliminate the one that does not fit.

Best way to check fit is to take the RIA in your shooting hand. Pick something on the wall or ceiling, such as a fire extinguisher head at least 30 feet away.
Close your eyes and grip the (unloaded) gun, finger in the trigger, and maintaining proper grip as though you were going to fire it one handed. (If you intend to use magazine extensions, or anything else that will affect how you grip, they should be installed).
Point the (unloaded) gun at the object on the wall, keeping your eyes closed.
Open your eyes and observe.
We don't care if you are not exactly spot on in aming, although that's a good sign.
What's most important at this point is if you can see the top of the slide in addition to the front sight, you are naturally pointing it high. This may mean the curve of the grip does not match your hand.
If you are pointing it to left/right of center, your fingers may be too short/long for the gun.
Of course, you could just be having a bad day at the range. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts