Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably the most ironic question to be posted here, since it's coming from me, but I'm wondering if any of you have observations or knowledge of the differences - if any - among the various date codes of the P99.

If there's one specific date code range that's recommended which is it, and for what reasons? Is there a particular date code to avoid because it might have a higher percentage of defects?

Just curious.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've had three Walther P99's altogether, two AC .40's and 1 KI 9mm.

I still have the 9mm. The trigger, stampings (roll mark), fit and finish is noticeably nicer on the KI.

I am however curious of the quality of the latest generation as I was thinking about picking up a 9mm QA. As soon as their available here in California I'll report back my findings.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 2 AB 9mm and 2 AC 9mm.

The AB finish is more satiny and the AC is rough gritty finish.
The AB has rollmarking, AC laser etching.
The AB triggers seem to be smoother, the AC is smoothing out with use but still not as smooth as the AB's were NIB.

I have one AB with about 700 rounds through it, all smoothed out as a proven 'backup'. I shoot one AC all the time.

The other 2 are backup if the first 2 break...which according to a couple of range owners in Edmonton in Canada is a common occurence in P99's up here.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have an ac. Don't notice anything I don't like but then again it is my only one. With less than 100 rds. , the cocking mechanism in the grip housing broke. Since it was an assembly Earl's put in a new one and told me not to use hot ammo(whatever, I was using whitebox winchester range).
Only problem I have had.
As a note it is hard to have two machines that are exactly alike. There are usually always little differences.

·
Registered
67 Posts
According to Redleg on canadiangunnutz.com the ejector often breaks (this is imbedded in the action block), he has also had range guns (9mm and .40) experience broken triggers, springs, barrel lugs at relatively low counts (few thousand rounds). Another range owner in Edmonton also posted similar observations. I have yet to determine if this is a flaw in the P99 design or if we Canadians got a 'bad batch' of P99's. Our 9mm P99 have a special 106mm long barrel to meet our draconian gov't's barrel length restrictions...105mm+.

I've noticed on this forum the American P99 fans have fared better with only the slide stop springs being a weak point.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The only problem I've had is the slide stop spring. I had one break on me. It was an old style type also. The new spring has been working well.

All of my P99's are pre AA code.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts