Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a .40 cal P99. I'm pretty sure it has the S&W made slide and barrel. Are these inferior to the German made slides and barrels??

·
Registered
333 Posts
The weapon would have to have been made in the year 2000---- about 5,000 guns were made with the S&W slide and barrel

Take a look at the Post about P-99 Accuracy and look at the target and decide for yourself if the slide is inferior.

S&W did a nice job mating the slide to the receiver in my gun.
There is absolutely NO movement when shaking the gun "hard"
I did find the S&W barrel's chamber was a little undersized, but expanded OK after 500 rds.

JF.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am not sure I am saying that.....or going that far

But what I am saying is that S&W was taking their time making this limited run of guns [ for whatever reason ].
The workmanship sort of proves this.

I have heard many Walther owners complain about the sloppyness between their slide and gun frame.........my pistol shows zero movement in any of the parts with the gun's slide forward. Accuracy is amazing with both the original S&W barrel and the Bar-Sto ported barrel. I can switch them at will.

But we should be careful how we define "better" . A more accurate gun is not necessarily better. The tighter tolarances required to achieve repeatable accuracy sometimes comes at the cost of reliability. Walther wants their guns to be reliable, above all else.......... so they may build a little more "play" into their slide to frame fitment.

JF.

·
Registered
50 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CDPMan @ Mar. 13 2006,12:49)]What about the finish? Is it the same??
No:

The SW99 frame, although made by Walther in Germany, has a rounded trigger guard. The shape and composition of the SW99's slide is also different. The slide and barrel of the SW99 are stainless steel and melonite-finished. The slide and barrel of the P99 are steel and tennifer-treated. The P99 is considered by most to be superior to the SW99.

http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/VIII/6.html

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (phobos512 @ Mar. 13 2006,10:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CDPMan @ Mar. 13 2006,12:49)]What about the finish? Is it the same??
No:

The SW99 frame, although made by Walther in Germany, has a rounded trigger guard. The shape and composition of the SW99's slide is also different. The slide and barrel of the SW99 are stainless steel and melonite-finished. The slide and barrel of the P99 are steel and tennifer-treated. The P99 is considered by most to be superior to the SW99.

http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/VIII/6.html
That's a direct quote from that website. No one can tell why the P99 is the "preferred", though, other than it looks cooler

I have a SW99 and it is my fav gun. I actually preferred the grip frame better than on the full size P99 - it is contoured ever so slightly different. Also, to me, it seems that the barrel's outer coating is showing less wear than on my compact P99. And, it seemed like the coloring on the melonite slide was more scratch resistant than the outer black coating on the Walther. Of course, I have both hard chromed now, so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry, I thought the difference was obvious...I guess the theory is that the SW99's melonite finish is less durable than the tennifer that is used on the P99 series and Glocks. That's why it's "preferred".

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Well, the melonite and tennifer is supposed to be about the same thing. I just found that the black coloring over the tennifer wears very quick - my P99c had holster wear in less than 2 weeks. That's why I hard chromed it - I also saw someone else complaining about this recently.

I think part of it is that Walther is more alluring than S&W - it's german as opposed to American, and I will admit that looks wise, the Walther is a bit cooler.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am getting a WALTHER not a S&W. The Walther I am getting was one of the 5000 that S&W made the slides and barrel for. So the only visible difference is the German proof marks. I was just wondering if the finish was the same on them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I believe the finish is different that then German made barrel and Slide............

But the finish is very tough........ Except for some slight wear from holstering the weapon.....my barrel and slide has held up very well.

Using some "cold Blue" to touch up the slide at the front and the gun looks like the day I picked it up....... and I shoot this gun about 6,000 rds a year.

JF.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts