Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a PPK for sale and thought it looked like quite an attractive gun so I handled it and became very interested in it so I am doing my homework on them. I would like a PPK in .380 but I am not sure what the differences are between a PPK and a PPK/S other than round capacity. Also what is the difference between Interarms and S&W, is one better than another (quality, Value, Replacement parts) or any other previous era? Thanks in Advance.

---MTS---

·
Registered
8 Posts
Note:
I'm not a walther/PPK expert, but this is what I found out by research:

PPK is the original. After the 1968 import ban-stricter import laws, they could not import the PPK any longer. So walther used the PPK slide on the PP frame, and voila, the PPK/S was born. It holds 7 rounds as opposed the to the original PPK 6 round mag. The 7 round mag will fit into the PPK however, sticking out the bottom slightly.
The grip on the PPK is shorter, needing a two finger hold, or the finger extension on the 6 round mag.
I bought a nice Interarms PPK, made in USA recently. It was in like new condition, nice trigger and shoots great. Functioned perfectly. Luckily I was able to test it out before buying. I met another shooter at the range a couple of weeks before who had one of the SW walthers. He said it jammed and was not accurate. So I searched for an older german or French (manurhin) model. I also heard that the Interarms PPK/S was not something one wants. The extractor is cast and tends to break. Not so with the Interarms PPK.
Hope this info helps some.
I love mine, and will be qualifying with it soon for CCW. It can be pocket carried easily in my carhart jeans.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've heard bad stuff about the Smith and Wesson PPKs, but I must say I've had absolutely nothing but success with mine.  It will eat anything I feed it, including many brands of hollowpoints.

I shoot better with it than any of my other pistols, including my P99 (although they're very close).  I love it!

Don't let the bad press scare you.  I believe S&W has worked out the kinks in their process, and you should be able to buy with confidence.  Remember, forums like this one always tend to overexaggerate the negatives, and not the positives about a particular product.  Best of luck to you!

-stunks

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I had a minor issue with some peening of the slide stop block on my S&W made PPK/s, but no major problems. I am very happy with mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too have found my PPK very accurate. I shoot better with it than my 9s or 45s because it is easier to control. I have the S&W and have few feed problems with hollowpoints. None with ball.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ours is a W. German/Interarms import PPK/S. We replaced the recoil and magazine springs and cleaned the heck out of it as it was getting fail to feed and fail to eject. After ~300 rounds, no problems except loading hollowpoints.

Food 4 thought: the new SW PPKS have longer tangs (that part between the back of the grip and hammer). A common issue was a 'bite' by PPKs' slides, which this extension was supposed to address. I haven't shot a S&W yet, although I am looking at getting a new one. On our older model, we have aftermarket grips on it that have a thumbrest (ala Colt Woodsmans). This keeps your hand down below the slide. Ive never been bit. :) I would recommend something like this for an older model.

·
Registered
280 Posts
S&W are currently making them.  Before that Interarms made them, and before that they imported them.  If you see a nickel one it is US made.  The German and imports are more sought after and cost more.  Opinions vary as to quality and quirks of US models but everyone has posted mostly positive sentiments for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts