Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in California where buying an "off roster" gun is no longer an option using the single shot exemption that was phased out several years ago. Therefore, I would like to convert my .40 PPQ 5" to the 9MM using the Q5 Match conversion kit. I had called the Walther customer service line several months ago, and they said the only thing that is different between the .40 and the 9MM is the slide assembly and the sear housing assembly (item 32 in the parts list). It seemed like a simple swap so I called again a few weeks ago to order the parts and the Walther customer service representative said that the frames are different between the .40 and the 9MM and I couldn't just swap the sear housing assembly and the slide assembly to convert from a .40 to a 9MM. Has anyone tried this or know if this can be done? Why would the frame be different?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
They're the same frames. The first guy is right, the second guy is wrong.

Why not just buy a conversion barrel from Jarvis, change the sear assembly, the extractor and extractor spring and you're good to go, and cost less too.

https://jarvis-custom.com/product/walther-conversion-barrel/

edit: Just to point out. Using the 'Walther PPQ M2 Rev 10_15_2018.pdf' you provided a link to in your post. That document will list the parts and part numbers for the standard 9mm version, consisting of parts number 1 through number 43....(the frame is part number 29).

Now, immediately following the 9mm parts number listing, you'll find other listings of other variations of the basic 9mm listing. In each of these listings, they'll only show the parts that are different from the basic 9mm listing. With that thought in mind, you won't find a number '29' listed in any of the additional listings, other than the 45. Which means the frame is the same for everything, except the 45.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Mags are different, with regards to caliber AND variant of the gun (Classic or M1 vs M2).

Though same say you can run 9mm out of a .40 mag, I wouldn't try it, especially on a defense gun...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see your point on the frame being the same part number for all variants except the .45. I'm going to call again and order the 9MM sear housing assembly and the parts to convert my slide.

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Yep, that'll work. 9mm sear housing, 9mm extractor and 9mm extractor spring. Been there, done that.

Here's something along the same lines. A PPQ M2 Q5 frame, P99 9mm sear housing, P99 Trigger assembly and a Magnum Research 4.5" 9mm slide assembly, topped with Speedsights. As well as TF magwell, and modified 17 round magazine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts