Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Only difference I can see is the ppks has i extra round. WHERE ARE THEY CURRENTLY MADE?? Still in Germany> Thanks---ASUS

·
Registered
130 Posts
The PPK/S has the frame of the PP pistol, mated to the PPK length slide and barrel. This was done so that the PPK could be imported into the U.S. after the CGA of 1968. The PPK didn't "earn" enough points to qualify for importation. My understanding is that they are all made in the U.S. and that Walther retired their production in Germany.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The PPK/S utilizes a PP frame with the PPK slide and barrel. The PPK/S came about because of the 1968 Gun Control Act. Basically the PPK is too small to import legally into this country.

The PPK/S is still made in the U.S.A. No longer made in Germany.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, technically they are made by S&W with Walther's "blueprints" and are sold as the "Walther PPKS" under the name Walther USA...right?..... I was thinking of getting one, but I wanted a 100% German PPK/s.---Didn't know if 100% German were still produced. Hope I have confused anyone----thanks again for the help---this is an awesome site---ASUS

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm not even sure what they say on the slides anymore. I looked at one a while ago and didn't care for it.

If you look around, you'll eventually find a German made PPK/S. Check GunsAmerica.com and gunbroker.com

·
Registered
734 Posts
It gets worse. Until the 80s, IIRC, all Walther products were made in France by Manurhin. Even though the marks said Made in Germany.

Pre-war and wartime products are 100% made in Germany.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You need to look a little harder then. There were a lot of them made from 1969 till the 1980's. In 1979 Interarms started making Licensed copies of them here in the States originally in .380 then in 1998 a .32 acp was made. The .22 caliber versions were made in France only. Most of the PP series pistols, including the PPK/S had the parts made at Manurhin and then shipped to Germany for final assembly. They all say, except for the .22's, made in W. Germany, however if the serial number is in the 800,000 range, then all the parts were made in Germany and not just assembled there. The "S" means special.

Here's one for sale that was made in Germany:

German PPK/S

·
Registered
280 Posts
My understading is that the ppk/s were originally made in germany(or assembled there at least) around 1968 mainly for export to the US to get around the size restrictions of the GCA.  Years later they were made by interarms in the US.

seems like p88 posted at the same time I posted so that is why it looks redundant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of a PPK/E? I was in some Walther website the other day, and this appears to be nothing more than a PPK/s chambered for the 7.65.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of a PPK/E? I was in some Walther website the other day, and this appears to be nothing more than a PPK/s chambered for the 7.65.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes, The PPK/E was a PPK/S style pistol made for Walther by FEG. From what I've heard, it was mainly made for the European market and wasn't really that well made. If there are any in the States, it probably very few.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Myself I would like a German made but my early made Interarms SS has served me fine. I know I don't want a S&W made. I ve read more bad about them than Interarms. Why can't Walter build a plant in the states and build their own.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I regrettably sold my interarms ppk/s some years ago and thought of picking up a new S&W made one but I have handled a few and the quality doesnt seem consistant. The trigger on one was really sloppy, it had a lot of play so I bought a sig 232 instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New member and confused.
Last month I purchased a 6 shot PPK made by Smith&Wesson.
It's stamped PPK, not PPK/s. Is S&W making both PPK and PPK/s pistols?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey, yes it is easy to be confused. I am not aware of them making a ppk. It was likely a ppk/s in .380 caliber.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That's good news actually. I had enquired last year about purchacing a PPK, but they were not in production yet. Dealer told me that S&W manufactured PPK was forthcoming. I couldn't wait and bought a PPK/s. Perhaps they are up to speed and new PPK are now available.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts