Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You CAN use your USPSA/IDPA classification as proof of firearms proficiency for a Florida concealed carry permit.

The language to satisfy the training requirement reads as follows, "documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;"

I was down in FL at the beginning of this month and took the opportunity to apply in person. I supplied them with my most recent USPSA card with a classification and a printout of my classification history from the USPSA website. I got my permit in the mail today.

All I can say is that it works, so anybody looking to get a FL permit can save their money on a class and put that $ towards some ammo or gear. To be fair, the people in the office were a little thrown off, and when I asked how many people use this option they said they see 3 or 4 a year in that office.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Interesting. I have a permit from my home state, and I've thought about getting a FL or UT permit for better coverage, but I never considered doing it that way as an option. I wonder if you have to be at/above a certain class in order to qualify. I mean, I'm only a "D" class USPSA shooter at this point, but that's due more to my less than amazing draw speed while competing with an IWB holster than any accuracy problems.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing I found shows any minimum requirement other than participation. I would think that having enough classifier scores to get anything other than a U would be sufficient.

Let's be honest, do you think everyone who qualifies after the standard 4hr class could make D class? I'd say you're more than qualified, but I'm not the state of Florida.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Yes, I think everyone would make D class, as it's the lowest you can be. Most of my scores are just barely below C, and I often outperform some of the local C class shooters on field courses due to running faster than they do, but that's not the point; the way I understand the classification system to work, you could score 0% on 8 classifiers, never shoot again, and be in D class.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I think everyone would make D class, as it's the lowest you can be. Most of my scores are just barely below C, and I often outperform some of the local C class shooters on field courses due to running faster than they do, but that's not the point; the way I understand the classification system to work, you could score 0% on 8 classifiers, never shoot again, and be in D class.
I stand corrected. For some reason I thought there was a minimum.

Although, if you can get through 8 classifiers, even if you zero them out you'll have had to be on the range for a significant amount of time which would be "experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition." It really is a wonderfully loose definition.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
My sons just did their free hunter's ed class at BassPro and it is also proof of proficiency in FL.

But USPSA/IDPA is more fun then hunter's ed classes. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts