Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me either, but apparently an ex-cop selling guns at the gun show today did, and he proceeded to explain to the customer how he didn't want a Walther because of this fact. He said the quality is less, and some other stuff that I didn't catch (I was eavesdropping) I then watched him sell this person a Glock. After the customer left, I looked at the guy and looked at him like he was dumb. It was about this time that he noticed I was carrying my P99 - to top it off he offered to buy it!

Made me appreciate my local gun shop so much more after witnessing this...

·
Registered
97 Posts
There is no truth to that. S&W is the IMPORTER for Walther in the United States. They DID NOT buy Walther. Any who spouts this misinformation is either mis informed or has a bias against S&W and Walther.

Walther is part of a larger company in Europe called Umarex, which also happens to IMPORT S&W firearms into Europe. But they do not own S&W.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wonder if this story is perpetrated by dishonest gunshop owners to try and sell a similar item that they might make a higher profit on. Can they really be this misinformed or are their more sinister deeds at hand?!?

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
It doesn't make sense to me ... not at a gunshow when the product is on hand anyways....
I would see the point of trying to sell other more profit making products if the dealer has to place a special order.... but for a product that is already in stock :confused:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, it's a fact that Glocks are all over the place, and accessories abound.. I don't know what the profit margin is for a Glock vs the Walther P99 but the path of "least resistance" would tell me that most dealers can get all the Glocks they want, the potential for aftermarket items for them would be greater than the Walthers and quite frankly IMO, IMO, a considerable percentage of US gun buyers are flooded by Glock advertisments, and seldom hear of Walthers.

I really think when some US gun buyers think of Walthers they automatically think PPK.. Period.

Someone at Walther headquarters is asleep at the wheel when it comes to marketing Walther products in America, and it's a shame, because imo they deserve better.

JMOFO

J. Pomeory

·
Registered
97 Posts
I really think when some US gun buyers think of Walthers they automatically think PPK.. Period.
I find this to be the case 80% of the time. Some people I run into think that the PPK is the only firearm Walther has ever made, I then correct that view. The only marketing I ever see is the two page, half page ads for the QA in gun magazines every now and then.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure if he said it knowingly, or innocently, but regardless when he saw I had my Walther on me, he asked to buy it. Maybe it was for his personal use, I'm not sure - I was disgusted with the guy by that time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ran into the same thing while recently looking to purchase a P99c. After calling every gun store in town I ran across 1 who claimed to have a walther p99c. When I went to check it out it turned out to be a SW99 compact. At that point I asked the owner if he knew the difference and he said that S&W had bought out walther and they were on longer making the P99. He then tried to persuade me to buy the SW99 claiming he had received multiple calls on it recently and was surprised he still had it. Needless to say I left the store in disgust, went to a reputable dealer, and ordered a p99c AS that I hope to be receiving today!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts