Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1959 post war P38 has a firing pin block inside the slide. Was this a post war modification or did the P38 originally have this block installed in the slide? The Numrich diagram shows this block as part of the slide assembly.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
The safety drum is the firing pin block. This evolution Fritz Walther used from the PP-series since the P38 was developed. But the firing pin design changed form squared to round design.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The safety drum is the firing pin block. This evolution Fritz Walther used from the PP-series since the P38 was developed. But the firing pin design changed form squared to round design.
Mine has the rounded drum.

So is it safe to say that Walther pioneered the firing pin block design?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I don't know that Walther was the first company developing a firing pin block.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I don't know that Walther was the first company developing a firing pin block.
That's an interesting question.

All P38s have a passive firing pin lock in addition to the manual safety. It automatically immobilizes the firing pin. It doesn't matter whether the safety is on or off, though manually rotating the safety drum double-locks the firing pin.

The PP series pistols, developed earlier, do not have a passive firing pin lock. They do have an automatic hammer block (possibly the first), but it does not lock the firing pin, which remains free to travel. To lock and immobilize the firing pin, one must turn the manual safety on.

If this discussion concerns a passive firing pin lock, the P38's is the first one I can think of offhand. However, unlike most later designs, it is not trigger-actuated. The firing pin is unlocked whenever the hammer is cocked. I believe the first Walther pistol to have a passive trigger-actuated firing pin lock was the P5.

M

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
All of my PP series pistols do. :confused:
Yours must be unique then.

The only firing pin lock on the rest of the world's PP-series pistols is built into the manual safety, and the firing pin is locked only when you manually rotate the safety down to the "on" position.

M

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
You may lighten me, I do not understand your chain of thought regarding "All P38s have a passive firing pin lock in addition to the manual safety."

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Martin, don't take my word for it. Remove the slide from a P.38, and take out the barrel. With the safety in the "fire" position, try to push in the rear of the firing pin far enough to see the front of the firing pin protrude from the breech face. You can't. It's locked until you push in the button on the underside of the slide.

M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts