Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a Walther P38 collector and I went to a gun shop locally by my house. I saw this gun and I think it’s a Beretta M1934 not 100% sure. It does not have a import mark and I was told it was possibly a veteran back from ww2? The gun is dated 1942. I am just curious what forces would use this gun? Could it of ended up in German hands at some point in the war? I believe the caliber is .380

I paid $200 for the pistol out the door.

Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
The Germans used anything they could obtain by the end of the war. Italian pistols, Belgian pistols, captured American fighter planes, tanks from various countries...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Germany used the Beretta M1934 under the name Pistole 671(i) and quite a few were captured by Allied forces during the war.

·
Registered
499 Posts
After Mussolini’s overthrow and the subsequent occupation of Italy by the Germans large amounts of Italian small arms joined the Wehrmacht’s inventory. My grandpa’s Volkssturm unit in 1945 was almost entirely armed with Carcano rifles. And five rounds per man. To stop Russian T-34’s in Silesia. But that’s a different story ...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Not sure what's so crazy about. Germany pressed anything and anybody into service if found useful.

Look at the holster and see if you can find a three letter stamp somewhere.

Also, not sure what you mean by "produced under Italian occupation". It was Italy, you know :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m saying the German were getting desperate by the end of the war. That’s what I meant by crazy. And I just read something that the Germans took over the beretta factory in 43 and produced their own examples at that point. Mine is a 42 and no markings on the holster

·
Registered
499 Posts
....I think this one was produced under Italian occupation ...
You might mean in Italy under German occupation. Gardone and its arms industry including Beretta are located in Northern Italy and continued production under German control until the surrender in 1945. If you find a forum specializing in Berettas somewhere, they can maybe tell you by the serial when yours was produced.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good! Everyone thank you very much for your help! I know it’s not Walther related but it is world war 2 European theatre! Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go to P38 forum they have a Beretta forum in it also. take a picture of the marking behind the left grip on the tang just below the hammer it will be letters inside of a oval each branch of the Italian military had their own marks Army, Navy, Air force, ect. Berettas made for the Germans were model 1935 and were in 32 acp caliber. But the Germans used both. I have a 1935 made in 1943 that has no markings but the serial Number that was a German contract gun.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts