Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filled out my paperwork on a S&W-produced, stainless PPK tonight with plans for getting a concealed carry license in the next couple of weeks. The Kahr PM9 was the only other real contender for my dollars...a lifetime of wanting (but not needing) the classic Walther had the Kahr back under glass pretty quickly. I know there have been problems with the S&W Walthers but I have faith they will correct any problems I might run into.

Since this is to be a concealed carry piece I was only interested in the PPK and the shop I'm buying through didn't have a PPK/S in stock. I started wondering on the way home if S&W incorporated the much publicized PPK/S changes into the PPK also, or if it was left alone. Can someone educate me on that? Also, it appears that the PPK I'm buying only comes with one magazine- the one with the finger extension- instead of two. Does that seem right? I expected to get two mags: the one this one has plus a flush-mounted one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I own a S&W produced PPK/S-1 in Stainless. I have never fired or even looked
very closely at an Interarms PPK/S, so I can't conclusively say what changes
S&W made, except that I have read the S&W beaver tail is larger. This is
to reduce the chances of "biting" that I have heard about.

As far as the magazines go, mine came with 2 mags, one with the finger grip
and one without. Look under the foam in the case the gun comes in. It might
be there, mine was.

Good luck with your new gun!
:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
The PPK/S is a PP frame mated to a PPK slide. It was not Smith and Wesson who came up with it. It was necessitated by GCA 68. The PPK was 1/10th of an inch to short to be eligible to be imported!!

You indeed should be getting two mags One flush and one finger extinsion. DO NOT take

·
Registered
120 Posts
The PPK/S is a PP frame mated to a PPK slide. It was not Smith and Wesson who came up with it. It was necessitated by GCA 68. The PPK was 1/10th of an inch to short to be eligible to be imported!!

You indeed should be getting two mags One flush and one finger extension. DO NOT take possession of your gun without getting everything you have paid for especially if it is NIB!!
;) ;) ;) ;) ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The PPK/S is a PP frame mated to a PPK slide. It was not Smith and Wesson who came up with it. It was necessitated by GCA 68.
I understand all that. I'm trying to figure out if S&W changed the PPK/S and the PPK, or only the PPK/S. As you noted, the frame is different between the two. The articles I've read about S&W's modifications (which went beyond the extended beavertail, if I remember correctly) seem to only mention the PPK/S. Further, only the PPK/S is marked with a variant change designation: PPK/S-1. I noticed that the PPK doesn't have the "dash one" designation.

Good advice on the magazine. I'll dig through the box before I claim it as mine.

·
Registered
435 Posts
That is an interesting question. I didn't think Smith did anything but extend the beavertail. But it is curious that PPK is just marked PPK but the PPK/S is the PPK/S-1. What does that mean anyway?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts