Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Being a fan of the ergonomics of the HK VP series, I knew it was a matter of time before I would pick-up a Walther. A few days ago, a local pawn shop had a P99 for sale for around $450. It felt good in the hand, was at one time a Bond gun (although this one had a silver slide), & I've heard good things about them. It was a little rough, and the mag was unmarked and possibly aftermarket.

I was going to go back to that pawn shop today and check it out again, but first I wanted to go to my local gun shop that usually has all the latest and greatest new guns. They didn't disappoint. While I was there, I got to handle a long slide/compact frame PDP, a compact PDP, a PPQ M2, & a P99 AS. Here's a quick rundown:

PPQ M2 - felt best in the hand & good trigger. But it was the threaded barrel model and priced around $750. Really didn't want to spend that much.

P99 AS - Felt good in the hand. Interesting trigger options, but not sure I wanted to go that route. Priced in the $600's.

PDP Compact long slide - I like this the best. Great trigger, and I liked the longer sight radius. But as this may be a carry gun one day, it was too long for that role for me. And if I threw on a red dot, the longer sight radius wouldn't matter. Price was $649.

PDP Compact - Great trigger & the one I'd most likely carry. I got it for $629 OTD, but unfortunately it was the 10 round version (only one they had). I already order a 15 & 17 round mag for it.

Hopefully I can go shoot it in a few days.

Update

So I went all in and added an RMR w/6.5 dot. The iron sights are XS Minimalist, but there's nothing Minimalist about them. They seem to eat-up too much of the window. Probably might work better on a Glock MOS, as I've heard the optic sits higher if using the Glock plates. I already order some other sights. Found a lefty holster on ebay. I'll shoot this set-up next week.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice. Enjoy.

Reactions: ZoeyB

·
Registered
144 Posts
The P99as was/still is the best IMO.

If you want/need something a bit smaller for concealment purposes, (I do!) the P99compact AS is just about perfect.

The only thing that is a bit outdated is the grip texture, however that's easily fixable. Trigger systems are a bit trickier to start modifying. Especially if you ever god-forbid had a self defense legal issue come up.

Those "interesting trigger options" include a much shorter and crisp single action, as well as a significantly shorter reset. Did you check out the P99as in single action? It's got the shortest reset I've ever felt on a pistol.

Plus the versatility/safety of being able to carry a fully loaded, chambered, +1'd pistol and still having it in double action.

All this is of course just my opinion, and I'm always open to good counter-arguments and valid points!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The P99as was/still is the best IMO.

If you want/need something a bit smaller for concealment purposes, (I do!) the P99compact AS is just about perfect.

The only thing that is a bit outdated is the grip texture, however that's easily fixable. Trigger systems are a bit trickier to start modifying. Especially if you ever god-forbid had a self defense legal issue come up.

Those "interesting trigger options" include a much shorter and crisp single action, as well as a significantly shorter reset. Did you check out the P99as in single action? It's got the shortest reset I've ever felt on a pistol.

Plus the versatility/safety of being able to carry a fully loaded, chambered, +1'd pistol and still having it in double action.

All this is of course just my opinion, and I'm always open to good counter-arguments and valid points!
I'll have to check out the P99 again. Maybe I'll pick one up.

I actually didn't even realize they still made these. My old Dept. went to the SW99 in .40 cal in the early 2000's or so, but I stuck with my Glock. I think S&W gave them a great deal on them when they traded in the 5904's we had been carrying. I don't recall if I even ever shot one. I don't think they had much success with them and went to the Glock 22 after a few years. But I also heard the S&W's weren't the quality of the Walther?. But I never really paid much attention to them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shot about 60 rounds today. Worked flawlessly. Here's my first 10 shots at about 9-10 yards.

New sights are coming tomorrow. I'll have to see if I can find a lefty holster for it. I did find one that will work for now in my holster box. I'm happy. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
IMO you're going to be very pleased with your PDP Compact. I have over 200 rounds through mine now and not a single problem of any kind. Great trigger and accurate. My last 15 rounds on a steel plate yesterday at 18 yards could be covered with my hand. I'm more than pleased.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Shot about 60 rounds today. Worked flawlessly. Here's my first 10 shots at about 9-10 yards.

New sights are coming tomorrow. I'll have to see if I can find a lefty holster for it. I did find one that will work for now in my holster box. I'm happy. :)

Great report! Awesome gun. Yours looks like the 4.5"?

Is that the 15 round grip or 18? I think you said your ordered 15 & "17 round mags" for it? Do they simply stick out the bottom a bit more? Where did you find 17 Round mags? Or was that a typo?

Congrats and keep us posted. Any plans to put an optical RDS on it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mines the flush fit 15 rounder with 4" barrel. The 17 rounders are available at Joe Bob Outfitters and have a molded extender. Same mag fits the PPQ M2. And Canik 18 rounders also work, but hang out of the bottom of the frame. No plans for an RDS right now. Too many other costly projects in the work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do the 17 Round mags absolutely work in a PDP Compact with 15 round grip?
Yes, they work well in my PDP compact. I own several and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Plate came in today for RMR/Holosun. So it took about aweek. Along with the latest issue of American Handgunner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts