Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas, has anyone got the scope on detailing strippig the P99 lowers yet?

·
Registered
306 Posts
detail stripping of P99 lower

No big deal, provided you got the proper tools ! (i.e. a small hydraulic press and a multitool like a leatherman).

I completely stripped my P99 in order to get the locking block replaced by a new one and consequently a profound cleaning of the gun. You have to consider three major things :

1. the assembly of the P99 lower is kind of modular, for example the trigger unit and firing control unit (located at the rear to release the striker) consist of different parts but  make one unit which can be removed as a whole by pressing out the corresponding roll pin.
2. the tricky part is to remove the take down latch without screwing things up. Be carefull and gently press the upper part of the latch outwards by means of a smal screwdriver until it snaps free from the retaining pin, after which you can lower it and twist it to remove it.
3. it's recommended not to use a hammer to drift out the roll pins but to use a hydraulic press instead (I know, I'm lucky enough to have one from where I work). I completely wrapped the gun with thin cardboard layers and tape in order not to scratch the frame during the (dis-)assembly.

Finally, keep cool and if things are not going as smooth as expected, take a break and start again afterwards. It's not worth hurrying things and risking a scratch or damaging a nice tool as is the P99.

Although I would not recommend to completely dismantle the P99 on a regular schedule, there might be a need for it, for example in my case where I had to replace the worn block or when you consider profound cleaning (every three or four years ?)

If you need more info, please advise. Good luck

·
Registered
411 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (E.T. @ June 09 2003,8:36)]3. it's recommended not to use a hammer to drift out the roll pins but to use a hydraulic press instead (I know, I'm lucky enough to have one from where I work). I completely wrapped the gun with thin cardboard layers and tape in order not to scratch the frame during the (dis-)assembly.
I used a hammer and brass punch, but I was very very carefull. A press or making your vise into a press would make things go MUCH easier.
I did not re-use the roll pin either, I ordered several extras from S&W before I started the detail stripping.
The roll pins are the only part of the whole process that is difficult.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, I just knew it wouldn't be long till someone gave the breakdown a go and let the cat out of the bag.

Now for the questions,haha.
Anyways I want to take the trigger and fireing controls out. Does the breakdown lever have to come out to remove the trigger assembly?

Thanks guys..

·
Registered
306 Posts
If what you call the "breakdown lever" is the take down latch, you won't have to remove it. You will have to disconnect the trigger bar at both sides. Disconnect the front by drifting out the pin, disconnect the rear by unhooking the spring.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys, I just wanted to let a know I jus got my P99 back together after a full detail strip. I polished alot of the rub parts for the trigger system. It's is preaty smooth now.
It really wasn't near as bad as I thought it was going to be. But it certianly isn't a takedown job for for those not weapons familar or good mechanically inclined.
Thanks for all your help. JB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts