Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already posted this as a reply in another thread but I thought that I would start a new post too.

Okay for you computer savvy guys, I have a project for you. I want you to design a P99 pistol carbine, something that resembles a Beretta Storm or better yet an upgrade of the G22. Think you can do something like that? A little while back somebody made a long slide version of the P99. I emailed it to Walther Germany and the tech rep there said he printed it off, showed it to some of their engineers and now has it hanging in his office. I know for a fact that Walther has no intentions of making a pistol caliber carbine, but hey who knows. If one of you guys came up with a cool design I will send it to them and you never know what might happen.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
You know
If they only took a look at how well the H&K USC sold.
It is still a sought after carbine and due to mods that can be made goes for $1500 up these days
A 9mm carbine in Bullpup would be a great thing to have....
short, lots of ammo easy to convert for lefty/righty and it could sport a long barrel for accuracy if one wanted and still be in acceptable length

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Yes, I wish there would be some other ones out there besides only the Beretta Storm. And, I wish they WOULD make that P99 tactical pistol too.

·
Registered
525 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ Oct. 03 2006,4:48)]Yes, I wish there would be some other ones out there besides only the Beretta Storm. And, I wish they WOULD make that P99 tactical pistol too.
kel-tec sub2000
hipoint has a carbine that has a good reputation too

I think the sub2000 could be modified to take p99 mags....

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I was going to get the Keltec 2000 - but, I have been told several times that because of the design of the stock and sights, U cannot use the stock sights and wear ear muff-style heraing protectors.

Also, if that folding scope mount actually worked, I would have bought one months ago. But ya gotta rezero the scope each time U fold it up, because it's not exact enough. And, if you permanenetly mount a scope, then the rifle doesn't fold.

As for the hipoint - I have heard decent things about it - but it isn't a brand I will buy for a self defense weapon. For a cheap range only gun, I might buy it.

When I said what I said about the Storm - I was referring to a carbine made by a mainstream pistol menufacturer - like Glock, Walther or Sig making a 9mm carbine.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have the keltec, its alright.  At the end of the day you have all the bulk of a rifle and all the power of a pistol round so its not really my number 1 choice for anything.  I'm pretty sure I've shot it with muffs before but it is a bit of a challenge.  Check out ktog.org sometime, several of the guys there have designed their own scope mounts, and if you're a DIY'er they might be workable for you http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin....4970486

I'd like to convert my sub2000 to use P99 mags, but even then its still just a 9mm round so I'm not in a huge rush to do it.  
I have the sig p226 model and the mags between the 226 and P99 look to be the same angle. I think all that needs to be done is trim the bottom of the grip down about .5" or so since the 226 mags are longer and then either notch the p99 mags the same as a p226, or make a new mag catch for the rifle, which sounds better but harder.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Interesting discussion thus far .... My 9mm Storm has been reliable for over two years, no problem of any kind yet, very accurate which makes shooting monotonous. The design could be better, nevertheless it is still very decent for a 30" carbine .... The construction of PS90 is much better than I expected, handled it a few times but not shot one yet. Very thin, easy to conceal. The stock sight is a bit too small for fast target acquisition. The 50rd mags can be found. Still not used to both hand grips are right next to each other .... I'm attracted to the FS2000, it's versatile and about 3" longer than PS90. The stock sight reticle is much better .... Walther wise, I'm patiently waiting for the next new model coming out, hopefully a year later.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I would like it as a Bullpup.. but that's just me.....

As to the new model....... It is suppose to come out on SHOT-show 2007..... I been trying to get any and I mean any info on this new PPS and not getting anywhere.... all I get is "you will like it, it will have nice features" apparntly another compact handgun.... I guess we will just have to wait and see...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Come on guys ! Show some ideas !

my idea !

PS : can anyone post the picture on this thread instead of this stupid link ? (I'm not that a computer wizz)

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
E.T.
the extension of the pic won't allow you to insert it into a post....

but your idea sure loks interesting.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is no money in carbines I know we all want one but the market is saturated with ak pistols, Kahr, Ar pistol ect.  

I would like to see a PDW to compete with the PS90 made by Walther for military/police contract

As a suggestion I would like to see them make the PDW with a decock switch, and an AS style trigger and loaded chamber indicator and hammer indicator. just like the p99  

That should raise alot of eyebrows and give it a solid place in the military market and then civilain would follow'

seend that to walther

·
Registered
306 Posts
" I would like to see a PDW to compete with the PS90 made by Walther for military/police contract "

1. The PS90 is the civilian version of the P90, so the PS90 is definitely not a Military/Police design.
2. Although originally designed as a PDW, the P90 is since long marketed as a special weapon for a restricted group of specific users (cfr 5.7 mm armour piercing cartridge)
3. The P90 and PS90 are both manufacured by FN in Belgium and never were made by Walther.
4. There are far more PDW designs actually available on the market compared to pistol calibre carbines and I very much doubt if Walther has the marketing capabilities (like H&K) to succesfully commercialize another PDW. So I would bet my money on a carbine for the civilian market

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
"E.T." I think "ROKbeef" was trying to say
that he would like to see a PDW that was made by Walther, to compete with the PS90 made by FN

And here my thoughts.
I too belive that Walther will not enter the military/LE market, as their main revenue is "sports" guns.
Yes they have a history of police semi-autos but that is about as far as it goes....
Walther long missed the train for the big caliber rifle market IMHO and we saw the last sniper rifle they made was way to expenive. (though a work of art)
Also to make a break in the american market they would have to come up with something "radical" in order to make it at all. I would say getting away from S&W would sure help alot in that area if they should attempt something like this at all.

I too think that a pistol carbine in 9mm in the 500- 700 $ range would rock the market if it was thought through like the P99 and S&W would give it some marketing... or Walther run their own add campain.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The 5inch Pistol is the heat. I think the slide should be made like the newer 40cal, but with serations like you had. I would like that.

Then tell HK to make a 5inch HK for immediate sales as well.

NO BULLPUP NO MORE PREYING MANTIS LOOKING RIFLES!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have some of It what I mean is that I would like any long arm wather comes out with in pistol or PDW caliber to have the features of the p99 pistol

decock. loaded chamber indicator, cocking indicator, AS trigger, and good ergonomics,

in fact I would like the mag release to be identicle.

In all honesty I would like to see something along the lines of the pp-19 Bizon with a nice Wather make over in style ergonomics and relyalbility

1 - 20 of 47 Posts