Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read various gun dealer web sites where the P99 with the desert sand frame is hard to find or very rare. Is this true? When was this model introduced and are they still made in this color? Does anyone know if in fact they made less of these desert sand P99's? Thanks for the info........

P.S. I really like the P99 and plan on purchasing one in the desert sand config.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
They are out there but I have seen very few to be quite honest...keep an eye on Gunbroker/GunsAmerica....best of luck to you on your quest...the three that I have seen have been QAs with long mag release but the desert sand was a cool color combination.:cool:

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I've seen them at shows, and most people don't want them. I've seen them as low as $450. I love Coyote color, but I gotta say that this color looks bad. Its a little off.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
The Dessert Sand P99 is only available as "QA" in .40S&W with the long mag release.....despite the fact that S&W shows it as 9mm on their website (its photoshopped)
CDNN did have them listed in the last two catalogs

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I was looking for my 9mm AS about a month ago all I could run in to was the QA .40 sand frame. I found 3 of them locally at dealers and was told that they had all been sitting on the shelf for some time. Seems that most people want the black frame the most, followed by the OD frame.

I think that you should be able to snag one at a good price, though personally i think that the frame color is a little to light. YMMV. :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
The CDNN flyer that came this week has the desert tan P99-40 for $439. Not my cup of tea (the pistol looks oddly flesh-colored to me) and the black back strap isn't too pretty on a tan gun, but they do have them and pictured on the cover of the CDNN catalog.

Pretty good prices on P99 and P99C magazines, too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well since my first post, I went ahead and ordered the P99 QA .40 Desert Sand. It showed up today. I don't care what the haters say, I really like the tan frame. Not only that, but CDNN was great to deal with and much cheaper than I expected. Though I do like the all black (not a fan of the OD), to have the same functioning gun for much cheaper was worth it. The Desert Sand looks slick. Now I just have to get to the range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Fire, I just purchased a desert sand P99QA 40 myself. I had to look for a long time to find it. I love the color and the action etc.also. I went a little nuts and found a military sand camo thigh rig for it. Wow it is incredibly comfortable. I would send photos, but I don't know how? ..duh

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oops! Disregard my previous message. I only read the first page of this thread and didn't see that pictures of the gun had already been posted on the next page before I replied.

(By the way, how come I can't edit and/or delete my posts in a thread?)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yours has a painted walther logo. I really like that. What is the date of manufacture code on your gun? It is 2 letters on the under side of the equip. rail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Fireman, Thanks, it's AF = 2005.

I would like to check the date on my PPKS, but not sure were? I might have the start a new topic to get the answer.

Have you fired you new piece yet?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats interesting. Mine is AF as well. Guess it just depends on what line it went down.

I just got back from the range. 200rds no problems. Feels great. That first shot was weird, and then I quickly figured the trigger out. I love it. Now I just need to practice my sight picture. I had some pretty good groups at anywhere from 5 -20 yds, but I tend to shoot high. I may have to step up on the front sight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like you had some fun. I didn't realize you were asking my date because of the gold fill. I did the gold fill myself with a kit I bought many years ago to touch up a commemorative I have. I'm not sure if they still make the kit, I haven't seen it on any shelves, although I haven't really looked.
Its a 4 or 5 step procedure that will inlay the gold or silver powder in your engravings. I find the bottles when I get to my shop, if you like.

doc

1 - 20 of 27 Posts