Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surfing through Earl's sight and noticed the heat shrink Derma Grip for the P99...anybody use this and if so what do you think? I maybe can see them for the compact but I wonder if they are beneficial for the full size...whay say ye?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've never been a big fan of the whole rubber grip, skate board tape thing. The grip on my P99s has never been a problem for me. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I used it on my P99 for a year or so. Definitely gives you a good, firm purchase on the weapon, but some people think it's a bit rough feeling.

If you're concerned about slipperyness of the grip in wet/bad weather and such, it's a good fix for it. If not, I think the basic grip unadorned works just fine.

Regards,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I got me one....
I love it...I think well worth the $20.... I might get another one for my .40S&W
and the fit is perfect too... it is long enough to go from your mag release all the way down... you put it on with the mag out .. heat it up .. then cut off on the bottom what sticks out...I will get some pics here in the next few days ... as I got my P5 today and the G22 has not been shown neither... I will get to it no later than sunday if not message me and I take you some quick shots....
just remember that Earl has a minimum order... not sure anymore how much it was... $25 or $50

·
Registered
310 Posts
Maybe I'm jaded for no reason, but I really have no desire to buy anything from Earl's -- just seeing what he does with the price of Walthers is enough to send me elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
YOU can buy the Dermagrip from a guy out of Germany too
Rockets I think done some buying from him Germanguns
 .... but you need to look on the german flag ...
I am not sure what his charge would be for it in US dollars... and how much shipping would be......
I really think as far eas Earls prices go.... some of his stuff is reasonable.....
I got a factory Walther holster for $60 for my P99c.... not bad... as any other good holster cost just as much... the Dermagrip was $20...... 15 round mags are $40.... LEO marked of course.... but who cares about that... and I think his 16 rounders LEO marked are the same......IMHO... It's just the guns that are so expensive...
But then again,,, remember what the Euro to the Dollar is ... that he is a one man shop and pays a lot more to get them from Walther than S&W does ..... plus Importation...
But yea.... I know some get turned of by this... but I am all for supporting the "lil guy".... where I can....
Yet I have nto bought a weapon from him... his price difference is too big even for me at this point

·
Registered
310 Posts
I guess he tries to make up his profit on pistols...selling P99AS and P99C's for $800 (and 15-rd mags for $75!) It sounds like some of his accessory prices are reasonable and like I said, I may be jaded for no reason. I've never bought from him, so I have no direct complaints. It's just his pistol prices that scream "Monopoly!" to me.

Sorry -- I didn't mean to hijack this thread into an "Earl's" topic....

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Hi Navy87guy
I think it's OK to talk about it... as I too think some of Earl's stuff is overpriced....and some of his S&W theories are way off the hook.....but like the Holster... where else can you get a P99c holster... unless you use a fullsized one for the P99 ?
As to the mags .....
$75 is for pre ban non LEO marked mags....
his LEO marked 15 and 16 rounders are $40 flat... and that is just as much as most others charge.... unless you are lucky to have a sportsman warehouse close by and get one for $25

Well and to tell you the truth..... just like in the other post were I stated I refuse to buy ammo at Wallmart.. nothing wrong with their ammo but I rather support the smaller bussinesses.
So even I got 2 mags for $25 each at Sportsman warehouse... I still bought 5 LEO marked ones from Earls....
oh and not to forget Silencio earmuffs (29db) with the Walther logo for $30
Anyhow.... back to the post

Did I say I love the Dermagrip....

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
It is like Shrink wrap......... it comes as a big tube and is about overall 0.5 to 1 inch bigger around than the Grip you clean off the Grip... take out the mag.... slip it over the grip....heat it up (180 degrees, I did it with a blowdrier) and it shrinks to the contours of the handle.... when it is all shrunk you cut off what sticks over (where the mag opening is)

It comes off only if you take siccors or a knife (cutting edge away from handle)  to it
once you cut it off you can't reuse it.... but you won't be able to tell on the grip that it was ever on before

*edit
the only tricky part is where the backstrap curves (from the rollpin down to the end of the grip)

·
Registered
30 Posts
What is the thickness of the grip? I'm thinking of applying it to my AS for IPSC but don't want to add too much difference to the grip circumference. Is the material contacting the grip sticky?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
take it easy on the hits.... it's from my post over at Glaocktalk......
I have no place to hast pics of yet

pic

pic 2

pic 3

The thickness is 1mm.... so you would add 2mm total I guess.....
It is not sticky inside or out..... like I said it is like a Heat shrink you put around wires (just lots bigger) with textrue on the outside....

·
Registered
471 Posts
One of the reasons I like the P99 so much is because of the "feel" of the grip. It's one gun that is going to stay "as it it came" out of the box.
Might look into it for my Glock however...

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Two more things........

The shrink ratio was listed as 2:1

also the instruction made it very clear not to use it on a gun that does not have a polymer grip.....as you might get moister trapped and that might corrode your handle......

I liked my P99 as it was too.... but that dermagrip gives me a much better handle on it....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just like to say i buy all my ammo from walmart...unless im buying it direct from the factory...But the grip does look cool

1 - 16 of 16 Posts