Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970ish PPK/S that a now deceased political figure bought for his protection after threats he received for his political stance. It is now my EDC gun, and I have been on a quest to find the most effective load for it. At first, just getting small pistol primers was difficult, but once I found "the" load in Hornady manual that could get me at least 100 fps faster than any other, I went on a quest to find Hodgedon's Titegroup powder, and now have 4 lb of it. The fastest maximum load w/Titegroup was with 90 gr. JHP, and listed 3.4 gr. I backed off to 3.2 and my Chronograph showed 1075 fps. My PPKS didn't digest the Speer JHP's but felt right at home w/Hornady XTP's. My carry loads only only use new Starline cases. No signs of pressure have been observed on these cases.

I have a Crimson Trace lasergrip on it, and usually carry in a FIST holster that also accommodates a spare mag.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The fastest maximum load w/Titegroup was with 90 gr. JHP, and listed 3.4 gr. I backed off to 3.2 and my Chronograph showed 1075 fps. My PPKS didn't digest the Speer JHP's but felt right at home w/Hornady XTP's. My carry loads only only use new Starline cases. ...
Nice numbers. But I like these better: two center mass and one between the running lights and it doesn't matter. Reliability trumps all in these pistols; and they are designed to take ball ammo. True, some will feed HP's well enough...whatever well enough means to you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Some of the self defense ammo is interesting...but I am a hardball kind of guy, just as my Walther's and 1911's. :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Some of the self defense ammo is interesting...but I am a hardball kind of guy, just as my Walther's and 1911's. :)
I did not mean to make fun of the OP and his penchant for custom loads, but rather to say that in a .380, reliability is the most important aspect of the defensive ammo we choose. (IMO). I have had nothing but good luck with Hornady CD in my Interarms PPK/S...I have 250 rounds of it through the gun now with no issues. But does it really matter with a little short barrel .380? Wouldn't a couple of 95 grain Fiocchi's be pretty much just as effective, given good shot placement? I'm not sure...I kind of like the CD as a round, in 9mm at least, but really don't know if it would be that much better than a shot-o-ball. I mean, if I knew I was going to be in a fight, I'd take a rifle.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
1075 fps in a blowback .380 is pretty darn hot. Your 70's PPK/s was designed for ball cartridges and much milder ammo. You want a EDC pistol with those velocities ... get a 9mm and put that PPK/S in a display case with a photo of that "now deceased political figure ".

·
Registered
112 Posts
1075 fps in a blowback .380 is pretty darn hot. Your 70's PPK/s was designed for ball cartridges and much milder ammo. You want a EDC pistol with those velocities ... get a 9mm and put that PPK/S in a display case with a photo of that "now deceased political figure ".
+1

I have an Interarms PPK/s that I use for CCW. I tested function with Hornady CD and had no problems with it, so I load it with the Hornady and call it good.

Jim

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Words of wisdom.

M

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
Speer Gold Dots have a good rep for both penetration and expansion in .380 caliber; you'll have to see if your gun runs on them.
I've had a checkered history with hot handloads in the PPK, and common wisdom is that you don't want to use handloads for carry; if you have to use them, it may become a point in any subsequent trial. Carry only factory.
The PP series is what it is; no point in trying to make a death ray of it.
Moon

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good Fio.ball in 32acp hits 1000+ and will reach vitals where light 380 hp's will not have enough penetration to do that. Stick with 95gr.ball in the 380 for defense S-B ,Fio, PPU. Save the hps for 9mm and up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts