Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 75th anniversary PPK today to go along with my PPK & PPK/S but guess what defective out of the box. Tried to take the slide off but would not come off, took the magazine out & out drops a piece of metal,about a 1/4 inch long rod looks like a plunger or something. Great S&W quality control, back to the dealer tomorrow to see if his distributor could replace it or it has to go back to S&W for repaors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went to the dealer with it who I buy all my guns from, the distributor will not take it back for an exchange. Good old loyalty from continous purchases. So now it goes back to S&W Walther for repairs, will probably come back worse.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Steve, I just got my new (450 rounds through it) back from S&W; it went in for a sight adjustment. It was shooting 2 to 3 inches to the left at 7 yards. I asked them to center the red line on the rear sight directly over the loaded chamber indicator as it was about 0.5 mm or so off to the left. I was afraid that the finish would be scratched / dinged up when I got it back. It wasn't, and the sight was where I asked them to place it. On the flip side, it looks like they shot quit a bit of lead ammo through it and the gun was much dirtier than after I had shot 100 rounds of FMJ of any brand I have tried through it. Also, it looks like their ammo caused some wear and tear on the slide and frame. Overall, I'd give them a C for the job they did. If they didn't fire it I would say it was A+ all the way.

Don't want to paint a bad picture for you, just trying to give an honest, objective (although unsolicited I admit) assessment of my recent (today) experience. Oh yes, UPS wasn't the best either. They left me a delivery notice yesterday and indicated they would deliver it today between 10:30 and 2:00. I took the day off to be sure to get it. Well, at 6:00, no delivery. I went to the UPS web site to track it but the tracking number came up invalid. So, I took a drive (10 miles) to UPS. It seems that the drive just didn't have time to stop here today - they went out to the truck and got it for me.

Hope things go better for you.
Benny

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sounds like the detent pin for the safety. I can't imagine how it could come out though. If that's it, the extractor would be loose too. Make sure it doesn't fall out and get lost. Either that, or it may be part of the firing pin or loaded chamber indicator.

I took a look at one in person the other day. Nice looking handgun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Besides the part that fell off it is impossible to disasemble the pistol slide from the frame, it won't come off. Even the dealer tried, for some reason it won't lift off. The part fell off when I tried to disasemble the slide with the magazine out, rack =ing the slide back with the release handle out the part fell off, the slide was stuck on before that. It just won't come off. Any ideas why.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Steve,

Your description of trying to get the slide off and then removing the mag bothers me as the mag removal is the very first step for disassembly! It's possible that you damaged the gun by trying to get the slide off without first removing the mag! If I misunderstood your description, I apologize, otherwise take heed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I removed the mag first then racked the slide with the release handle down. The slide would not come off. I tried racking the slide a few times with the release handle down and that is when that piece fell down from the pistol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That sounds ugly!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just spoke with Walther America (S&W), they are sending a prepaid label, also he said to me this is not the first complaint he had about the slide not coming off of a PPK. Guess they had a bad run or bad assembly. My regular PPK was test fired April 2006 & it is okay where my 75th Anniversary was test fired March 2006. So I guess the bad run was around March. Both have the redesigned magazine finger rest.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good deal, best of luck. I took my PPK to the range this past Saturday, the one that had the sight adjustment by S&W, and it is spot on out to 40 feet - that's about all my eyes are good for - the pistol is probably better than that. I really like the gun, just wish S&W used cleaner ammo when they test fired it after making the sight adjustment. I had to soak the barrel twice, 12 hours at a pop, to get all the junk out of it. Spent a couple of hours on the slide and frame too. Anyway, thinking about getting a PPK\S or another PPK soon; maybe the PPK\S to kind of round out the PP series collection. Man, a PP Super would be the one to beat all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts