Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Interarms PPK/S purchased new in 1981. Lately, after every third or fourth round, the gun decocks and the ssafety is engaged all by itself. I spoke with several of the local gunstores with no real help. They all offered to send it to Smith and Wesson for repair. Smith said that since it is Interarms manufacture, they can not repair it. Are there any suggestions that you can make to repair it myself ?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My guess is that your extractor spring is broken.  That spring puts pressure on the safety lever by way of a little plunger.  If your safety lever is moving real easy, then recoil is causing it to drop the hammer and engage the safety.

If your safety lever is pretty stiff, then I am at a loss. I had a pp once that the hammer would occasionally follow the slide forward, which was due to loose and worn out internals. But in that case, the safety did not engage.

Is this a German Ppk/s, if it is Earl's Repair could probably help you. I also know a good smith for German ppk/s if you want to go through the expense of mailing it to him ($$$). Even if it is a US mfg, I think he would work on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
First Off White Wolf I'm not a Gunsmith but have had a Walther PPK/S apart a few times..
I would assume that the Safety Lever Spring which is also the extractor spring that engadges the safety has become weak, Your sayin that the safety is working fine it just goes to safety/decock on its own..
I would disassemble the slide by first removing it from the frame, Then push the firing pin in past the safety with a 3/32" punch while in the firing possition then set the safety lever halfway between safe & fire then wiggle the safety a bit pulling out ever so slightly, Note that the extractor spring pushes tention on the safety to hold it in it's place, The detent #5 & spring #4.. The detent & spring might fly away be carefull, Do it in a plastic bag as a precation, also note that the firingpin & spring will also release with tention as well.. Also the extractor & it's holder will be not under tention once removed & should be cleaned as well, It's not that hard to remove but you have to be handy, It's a little harder to reinstall than to remove..
I would usually lube these parts with a thicker lube than oil, like TW-25B or Grease, But being your having trouble I might just lightly oil it.. Might not want it too slick..

After thinking on it a bit more I would think that the spring #4 might just be the only cause??Became weak over time..
The safety may have worn smooth at the edges of it's detent hole & be popping out of it's recess because of that, You could take the appropriate drill bit or small dremel bit to it, But be care full.. Last resort.. Expecialy if the safety lever is not available etc etc..
I would replace the extractor spring first, You should be able to get the parts from Numbrich or maybe S&W? You might want to replace the Detent too? It may have become blunt, Not pointed as much over the 25 years you've had it..
Does the safety engage & disengage very easily?

Also note that the pic I've put up shows a PPK not a PPK/S the loaded cylinder indicator spring is different between the two actually almost backward from each other, You shouldn't have to remove it but being you have it that far you might want to spray it out with gunscrubber to get these parts all clean, & clean the firing pin hole & extractor spring etc etc with a Q-Tip & or a pipe cleaner..
I'm still at a loss on why S&W won't help you too, I thought that was part of there deal with Walther, To take care of the US market which has millions of German made & Interarms made PPs,PPKs & PPK/Ss..

Also Welcome to the Forum White Wolf
Good Luck with your Walther
[email protected]
B92

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Ditto Beretta92, and also it may be that the spring is ok, but the plunger at the rear that engages the safety may me corroded and jammed and not properly engaging the safety barrel. Part 005

·
Registered
178 Posts
That'll give Him a place to start..
It'll be the spring or detent..
Good Luck White Wolf!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts