Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am looking for a compact ccw pistol to take the place of my Beretta 92FS during summer time weather. I am interested in the P99C, among others from various manufacturers. I have read and understand the differences between the QA, AS and DOA (P99O) variants, but, I'm looking for some first hand advice on them. Please do not "break it down Barney style" as I am not a newbie. I like the look, feel, and function of the P99C and I'm almost completely sold on it over my other options. All I need to know is why I should choose one trigger variation over another.

Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I kind of feel dumb because after posting, I went to the Walther website. It would appear, after further review, that the P99C is only configured with the QA trigger. I'm not really interested in the full sized P99, since I'm looking for a very compact pistol. If anyone has anything to say about the QA P99C (or the P99C in general,) I would appreciate the input.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If the p99c is only available in a QA that is news to me. Kinda makes wonder how I got a p99c AS. J/k. For some reason that seems to be common misconception. I am not sure if the p99c AS is still being imported, but I do know that it is still available. Also there is the SW 99 as an option.
As for triggers, it depends on you. I prefer the AS for ccw because once I start shooting, my defensive style is to put as much lead into the bad guy as fast as I can. And my follow up shots are quicker with the AS over the QA. The QA has a "glock like" trigger pull if you are into that sort of thing. I only care about the first trigger pull being difficult. I want to make sure I intend to. So I lean towards the AS for that reason. I am sure others will say otherwise, but like I said, the trigger type really depends on you.
Wage out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, at first I was under the impression that it was available in the other trigger configs. but if you go to the site, it lists the P99c's trigger as the QA and lists no other.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading some other threads, I think I'm leaning for the AS trigger. Like I said before, I carry a Beretta 92FS, which is of course a DA/SA. So, I'm used to that type of trigger. In fact, I really like my Beretta, but, I don't really like the compact Berettas.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
P99/P99c AS all the way for me....:D

WAWAP80002FC WAL P99C AS 9MM 3.5" BL 2-10RD

here is the #'s you need for your dealer to order you one....
or check the net..... Buds gunshop sold a few not too long ago....

I like DA/SA and I like the second strike ..... also the shorter reset of the AS

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was recently searching for a new ccw myself when I came across this site. I had already had my eye on the p99c for about a year but never picked one up because of my limited experience with walthers. About a month ago I decided to pick up a new p99c in the AS trigger function in 9mm and I have not looked back since. I have around 1000 rounds through it so far and IMO it is the best gun I have ever fired. I have a glock 23 and have shot a couple different sig p239's and find the walther to be superior in both accuracy and trigger pull (the two things I look for in a gun). I have nothing but good things to say about my walther experience so far and can't wait to get my hands on a full size p99

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have purchased both the P99c/AS and P99/AS new during the past 6 months.

I recommend the "AS" trigger/striker version as I am well pleased with mine, and it seems its the model most preferred by Walther P99 owners.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
The SW990L (S&W's version of the QA trigger) appears to have been discontinued at the end of 2006.

While I don't know if or when the SW990L is/was discontinued I am pretty sure the SW990L was a "DAO" trigger and not the "QA" trigger

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now, if I go with the P99C, it will be an AS model. However, I am still weighing the pros and cons of my other choices:

H&K P2000 SK
Kahr PM9

Any thoughts?

Origionally I had only looked seriously at the Kahr, as it has the other two beat in the small size catagory of OA L/W/H. The Kahr is also the least expensive, but, I can justify spending a little more for a life saving tool if it is worth it.
However, the Kahr sacrafices three or four rounds due to the single stack mag. (But, it's so thin!) Also, it is DOA. I am not completely opposed to DOA, but, I am used to DA/SA.

As I said before, I like the look, feel, and functionality of the Walther, but, it is the largest of the three in terms of OA length and width. It is only slightly less tall than the H&K.

As for the H&K, I have yet to accually hold one. I like the H&K USP and I read a good article on the P2000. I'm still not sure exactly how the CDA trigger works, though. I am looking for a pistol without a hammer spur and the only P2000 SK versions that do not have a spur are the V1 or V2 models and both use the CDA trigger.

Once again, thankyou all for your inputs.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
WOW this is going to be interesting......
I considered a P2000 before... but the feel of the polymer is cheap compared to the P99.... (just let the slide fall with a empty mag... and you also hear what I am talking about)
that said .... Dr. Lunde might be a good source of info here since he has both... the P99 and the P2000SK....
I think the P2000SK might be wider if you measure it with the ambi slide release....and don't get me wrong I love HK's (I have 2 P7M8's) but I am waiting on the P30 to come out....
the only P2000 that has the spur is the V3 which is the DA/SA with decocker on the back.... CDA is almost like the "QA" on the P99 however since it has a hammer it is able to have the DAO shot also in case you should have a FTF....

now if you are looking for a slim gun... you might just wait a few more month and take a look at the new Walther that is coming out.... it's called PPS and you find some info on it here on one of the posts.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
went through a similiar decision recently. the p2000sk is really nice, but the grip did not work me and a lot of people have voiced similiar complaints. recommend you hold one before deciding. the walther p99c AS is a great gun. I especially like the new grip extensions that allow a high cap p99 mag to fit flush. you also might like the s&w m&p compact. It is double action only, but for a relatively inexpensive trigger job by someone at the m&p website (?burris), it is reduced to 3.5lbs and feels like a single action only. It also has great ergonomics. However, to me. all of these guns are relatively large, even though considered compact. the pm9 is much smaller. I also wish it came da/sa. you might also want to look at a kimber aegis II 9mm or the springfield emp if you like sao in a small 1911.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shot a P99 VS. P22

How does the P22 compair to the P99? (I'm not considering buying a .22 in lieu of a 9mm. I just want to compair the function of the two.)

One of my co-workers has a brand new P22 that he brought to the range yesterday. I assume the action is a little different than the P99 seeing that it has a hammer with spur. Is the P22's trigger just a standard DA/SA or is it considered AS? I didn't like that you have to pull the trigger, (while the safety is on,) to drop the hammer for DA, (I know the P99 has the nice decocker on the top of the slied.) Overall, though, I liked the way it shot and it felt good in my hand. A good experience shooting my first Walther product.

I briefly considered buying my friend's Kel Tech, but after I shot it, I declined.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I recently dumped my Kahr PM9 in favor of a P99C. I got all excited about the Kahr, mostly because of its size, but quickly shelved it and then traded it on something else. I can't explain it other than to say it didn't feel good in the hand - perhaps it was just too small to shoot well in that caliber. It also had a cheap feel to it that didn't inspire confidence.

That being said, I am delighted with the 99C, much more so that with the G26 it replaces. I like the feel of it and it shoots beautifully. In fact, I am off today to pick up a P99 to go with it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I recently dumped my Kahr PM9 in favor of a P99C. I got all excited about the Kahr, mostly because of its size, but quickly shelved it and then traded it on something else. I can't explain it other than to say it didn't feel good in the hand - perhaps it was just too small to shoot well in that caliber. It also had a cheap feel to it that didn't inspire confidence.

That being said, I am delighted with the 99C, much more so that with the G26 it replaces. I like the feel of it and it shoots beautifully. In fact, I am off today to pick up a P99 to go with it.
+1. Everyone that I know of who has bought a P99c has fallen in love. I sure have.

Ron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts