Walther Forums banner

Decisions, decisions, First Gen or Second Gen

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  ZeeRaBeet 
#1 ·
I am going to the gun show tomorrow to look at second gen P99's. I have located a first gen P99 at a local gun shop for $589.00 + tax. What is the going street price for P99s and what are the pros/cons of the two different models. Whichever one I choose it will have the AS style trigger as it feels better to me thsan the QA trigger,

TIA

#2 ·
I'm a noob myself but as far as I can tell from my limited research and gleanings from this Forum, the differences is in the magazine release - it is longer on late models which I have and I find it great because I can use my trigger finger to drop the mag without lowering the pistol. There may be a difference in a magazine capacity. Also, the accessory rail was redesigned to allow for greater compatibility.

I bought a nib p99qa about a month and a half ago and paid $576 at the mom and pop.

#3 ·
IMO a major upgrade in the second generation is the removal of the "ski ramp" inside the trigger guard.

During a day at the range my trigger finger takes a beating against it. It hasn't been enough of a bother to upgrade or do anything, but I do consider it an upgrade.

#4 ·
Here's some basic differences:

Gen 1 has a ski-hump inside the trigger guard, Gen 2 doesnt.

Gen 1 has a lot of small slide serrations at the rear, Gen 2 has fewer, but larger serrations.

Gen 1 has a small mag release, Gen 2 is about 2-3 times longer.

Both have different rails.

The mag capacity is determined by the mag itself, btw. Both can use 10s, 15s or 16s.

Much earlier, Interarms' version (a Gen 1) had a split trigger. This is one is harder to find nowadays.

Appearance-wise, the Gen 1 has a convex curce-to-point shape on the front of the trigger guard (similar to a Glock). Gen 2 is a full concave shape.

thorn

#8 · (Edited)
Caliber?

GP40X,
Are you looking for 9mm or .40S&W? I've got a couple of 1st gen .40 AS configs (one all black, one olive drab w/night sights) that I'm thinking about posting for sale, along with other listings for various P99 goodies... BA-6 laser w/Walther logo, green HiViz sight, Sidearmor holster, hi-cap magazines, etc.

I'm in McKinney, TX

Toughest part is figuring out a price... :rolleyes:

Regards,
Mike

#9 ·
GP40X,
Are you looking for 9mm or .40S&W? I've got a couple of 1st gen .40 AS configs (one all black, one olive drab w/night sights) that I'm thinking about posting for sale, along with other listings for various P99 goodies... BA-6 laser w/Walther logo, green HiViz sight, Sidearmor holster, hi-cap magazines, etc.

I'm in McKinney, TX

Toughest part is figuring out a price... :rolleyes:

Regards,
Mike
Thanks, Mike but I am looking for a 9mm right now. I may however get a .40 (or a .45 if they ever build one) in the future.

#13 ·
Well, I am now the proud owner of Walther P99 QA 9mm. I was looking for a P99 AS but all I could find was the QA. However, every QA trigger I felt was a gritty rough @#$!^@&#**#!#*$@&$%^&@^$&(E@&<> (add your own choice words there) until I found this one. This one has a very smooth trigger with a nice clean break. The other two on the table felt like sandpaper was in all the contact points. As soon as I can get to the range I will have a range report for everyone.

#17 ·
1st Gen Laser

Yes, you can get a very high quality laser for the 1st gen from Laser Devices. The model is the BA-6. (They also make the BA-7 for the 2nd gen rails.)

http://www.laserdevices.com/product.php?id=3

If you had a 1st gen and wanted to add a "standard" rail laser, there are rail adapters around that lower the attachment point along the way. Other members of this forum have gone that route and posted pics in the past.

If you decide the BA-6 is something you like, just PM me... I have one with the Walther logo on it that I'll be posting for sale in the near future.

#18 ·
... from Laser Devices. The model is the BA-6. (They also make the BA-7 for the 2nd gen rails.)
Thanks. I was just looking at their site last night, and couldn't determine for sure from their info what the rail compatibility was. I haven't purchased my P99 yet, so don't want to get the cart before the house. The opportunity came up to get a 1st gen in OD, but wasn't sure about the implications of the rail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.