Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1973 (?) Walther W. German PPK/S, serial #173XXX. Indicates Interarms on right slide. The frame # is the same but ends in a S (173XXXS).

The sale description did not entirely explain that the pistol is in pristine condition or I might have not purchased it knowing I wanted to use it for C&C purposes. The seller, who was the pistol's 2nd owner, indicated he couldn't tell if it had been fired or not, and neither can I, but sure like it's not been fired. The mags do not have any slide marks. The second owner indicated he'd stored it in a sake and never used it.

It has 2 identical "scratch" marks on either side of the rear slide-they look like machined scratches because they're more or less identical. Also looks like some of the bluing is coming off two of the rear slide serrations on the right side, a little less than a 1/4 inch each. Hardly noticeable, but there.

The pistol came in the original plastic box w/ diagonal partitions for the pistol, 2nd mag and barrel cleaning tool. Two mags are included, both with the pinky finger extension. There was no manual. The box sticker indicates the same serial # as the pistol.

I think the pistol is too pristine to fire and should be collected and put in a safe, my two shooting buddies think I need to fire it. I just don't want holster marks on the slide. It's just a beautiful pistol.

My question is, what do I have and should it be kept in pristine condition or fired??? Please help me make this hard decision!!!

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
I have two German 1973 PPK/S .380 models. One is NIB and cost $695...it's stored in the safe as an investment. The one that I shoot and carry has some holster wear and cost $400. That's about all I can tell you. The decision is yours... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
If it is that pristine put it back in the box and send it to me I'll put a couple of hundred rounds through it and send it back to you uncleaned and you shouldn't have any qualms about shooting it then . Hey it is what we do for fellow members it is a sacrifice but some ones got to do it .ayb

·
Registered
3 Posts
I say shoot it. I bough my 1980 Blued PP a couple months back. it is in mint condition still wrapped in plastic with original everything. I put 150 rounds through it that night and typically 100-300 each week since. it's valuable to me as a great piece to own and shoot and I am not interested in what anyone will pay for it tomorrow... unless it's an offer I can't refuse ;) ImageUploadedByOutdoor Forums1403402753.535827.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I am a bad boy, having deflowered two vintage Walters, two Manurhin, and one Marlin rifle. In my defense, all five were well past legal age and they all but asked to go to the range with me ;)

So, my advice is to shoot it - that is what they are made for, not living cold and alone in a dark safe for decade after decade. If you take care of it, then you will still have a valuable pistol 20 years from now :)

Reactions: axyardbob

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you can't live with deflowering a mint condition pistol, don't buy it in the first place. In your heart you are either someone who likes to own things or someone who likes to use them. Figure out who you are and then be that person ... with no regrets.

Reactions: GeoNole94

·
Registered
567 Posts
P.S. If you can't bring yourself to do it, I have a PPK/S that is totally broken in ... I'll swap you so you can do all the shooting you want and I can do all the shooting I want.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Asking for advice on the website will only produce comments that you either essentially agree with ... or don't. The bottom line, here and always, is that the only guy who make this call is you and you alone.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Agree, you should shoot it. That said, I chose not to shoot my pre war ZM PPKs or PP which are truly collector pieces.

·
Registered
316 Posts
dwalker: Your pistol is not unfired. It was factory proofed and then test fired with at least a full magazine. Do you want to preserve it for the next owner? It is a tool; use it as intended. Just take good care of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all!!!

Well, you'all convinced me it doesn't belong in a safe and needs to be used as intended. Had a kick out of reading some of the replies, but I think that PPK/S was begging me to take it to the range and the fact it's just another, but nice, pistol, it needs to be used. Already taken it out of its plastic box, put it in my range bag with ammo and headin to the range VERY soon!!! Thanks again - dan

·
Super Moderator
7,305 Posts
Shoot it and enjoy it, but there are better choices for concealed carry; have a look at Kahrs and LCPs.
Nice gun, great grab. Enjoy.
Moon

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Make sure the recoil spring is installed with the tight end on the barrel towards the chamber. The large loose end goes towards the muzzle. Putting it on backwards will cause short cycling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts