Walther Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As we all know, the PPQ is a striker fired weapon which, short of dry firing, makes it impossible to de-cock as the PPQ does not have a de-cocking mechanism. Or does it?

I was reading through a few threads in this sub-forum going all the way back to the 2011 SHOT show when the PPQ was unveiled for US sales. I came across a post the mentioned something about one of the P99s being de-cocked by simply pressing the slide back a short distance. It made no sense to me, but sometimes I just don't get German engineering!

After a bit of fooling around, I found that if you press the slide back on a cocked PPQ until it just meets resistance, press the trigger and hold it while releasing the slide, the pistol will de-cock. The pistol can again be cocked by simply pressing the slide back just a short distance.

If the trigger is pressed too soon, or the slide move too far or not far enough, the pistol will not de-cock. You have to find the right spot and sequence or it will not work. It must be deliberately done. With a little practice, it becomes easy. Of course, when practicing this, be sure your PPQ is unloaded

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, the striker on a PPQ is always fully pre-cocked, not partially cocked, like on a Glock. The PPQ's initial trigger resistance is entirely a product of the trigger spring itself, so "de-cocking" in this context has nothing to do with the striker. This is also why the PPQ doesn't have a visible striker indicator like on the P99, because, again, the striker on the PPQ is always fully pre-cocked.

The P99AS has a striker that will have a preload ranging from none (in DA mode) to full (in SA mode). So it makes sense for the P99AS to have a decocker.

The P99QA has a Glock-like striker, in that it's always carrying some preload, and pulling the trigger fully cocks the striker.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not talking about the take up of the first stage or it's spring pressure. I am talking about de-cocking the pistol, that is, releasing the striker without firing the pistol, same if it had a de-cocking lever

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pressing the trigger while holding the slide out of battery... what could possibly go wrong?!?

;-)

I think you might want to slap a big warning on this post.

-john

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why would you want to decock the PPQ?

I can't see a reason to do so, unless you are field stripping to clean, in which case you just pull the trigger (once you've removed the magazine and confirmed the chamber is empty).

If it is due to safety concerns while carrying, (i.e. you want to draw, rack slide, then shoot) then why not just go for a different firearm that you feel more comfortable with, e.g. a DA/SA style with decocker, or a SAO with external safety etc.

Am I missing something here?

TheWombat

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agree with Wombat... The Glock folks maintain there is no need to "decock".

And, I look at it from an engineering design standpoint...if Walther _wanted_ you to decock the PPQ, they would have given you a decocker.

Which then raises the question of once decocked, how do you recock?

I think in this case I will let the PPQ do the thinking for me.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Before some idiot blows a hole in the wall or himself...let's lose this post. If the gun is not meant to be de-cocked, let's leave it as is. If you want to be able to decock your PPQ, go get another pistol.

There are quite a few new shooters on this forum, and I'd hate for someone to try something stupid like this with tragic/expensive results.

Carry the pistol loaded, and charged...or loaded and not charged. Pick one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well, let's see. April fool was yesterday, so that's not it. But it fits.
I want my bad boy locked, loaded, ready to go at an instants notice.
Often, that's more notice than you'll get.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Be that as it may. I play by big boy rules. If something is unsafe for a given situation, I don't do it.

I didn't post that one must de-cock their Walther for carry purposes. What condition a person carries their pistol I leave up to them so long as it's not flagrantly unsafe such as carrying a Single Action Army at full cock.

Will the Walther fire out of battery? No. If you cannot figure out for yourself when and when not to use any de-cocking method through safe practice, you need to step away from the firearm and take up something with a responsibility level more your speed.

As far as that goes, using this de-cock method before removing the slide is safer than snapping the trigger. Of course, the shooter needs to verify the mag is removed and the chamber clear before using either method but since folks are assuming the shooter is negligent in the first place, I just thought I'd point that out.

Guess what? If I were able to figure this out, so will another new Walther shooter. You can delete this thread if you wish, I do not care. But it will not keep others from figuring out this can be done. If you feel this is unsafe, say so in a professional manner and clearly state why.

The irony to this is that when the slide is in that position, the striker is not even cocked. It's the last half inch or so of forward travel that cocks the striker. The striker is always de-cocked when the slide is moved to the rear

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Let's be civil, gentlemen. The discourse on this forum strives to be polite at all times. If we find this question/idea not to our liking, then let's explain why and move on. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Personally i would just have bought a P99 if I was looking to de-cock. I do however appreciate the information though. I was unaware that this could be done, but on the safe side I'll take your word for it. I did however find your thread very interesting. Thank you.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It also helps to understand just how the pistol works

In this photo, we see the trigger sear as it sits in the frame

Here is the striker sear which is in the slide

When the slide is closed, the two sears engage and the striker is cocked. When the slide is retracted, the two sears disengage one another, relieving all spring tension on the striker, de-cocking it. When the slide is in this position as shown in the photo below, the spring pressure is completely relieved. The pistol de-cocked

It is only in this position that the trigger can be depressed to lower the trigger sear so that it will not engage the striker sear when the slide returns forward. The PPQ cannot fire in this condition. For this photo, the main spring has been removed. If you push the slide closed, the striker spring will push the slide rearward again without the main spring to hold it closed

·
Registered
70 Posts
If I wanted a pistol I could decock, I would have bought one. One day recently, someone asked about my PPQ not having a safety. I told them, 'I am the gun's safety as well as my finger off the trigger until I am ready to shoot.'

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
if you press the slide back on a cocked PPQ until it just meets resistance, press the trigger and hold it while releasing the slide, the pistol will de-cock. The pistol can again be cocked by simply pressing the slide back just a short distance.

If the trigger is pressed too soon, or the slide move too far or not far enough, the pistol will not de-cock. You have to find the right spot and sequence or it will not work.
This seems far too touchy and I would strongly suggest this not be explored. While it may work, there is no mention in the manual and, as stated earlier, given the number of new shooters who are picking up the PPQ, I hope no one attempts this, there is little point.

If you want your PPQ decocked:
1. drop the magazine
2. clear the weapon by ensuring the chamber is emptied via visual and physical inspection
3. pull the trigger in a safe direction

This method has worked and is taught for a reason- no guessing

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
If I wanted a pistol I could decock, I would have bought one. One day recently, someone asked about my PPQ not having a safety. I told them, 'I am the gun's safety as well as my finger off the trigger until I am ready to shoot.'
I have no more reason to de-cock my 1911 than I do my PPQ, yet I know how to do that safely

(PS- You did buy a pistol that de-cocks)

This seems far too touchy and I would strongly suggest this not be explored. While it may work, there is no mention in the manual and, as stated earlier, given the number of new shooters who are picking up the PPQ, I hope no one attempts this, there is little point.

If you want your PPQ decocked:
1. drop the magazine
2. clear the weapon by ensuring the chamber is emptied via visual and physical inspection
3. pull the trigger in a safe direction

This method has worked and is taught for a reason- no guessing
When looking around for a new pistol, I was told to avoid any that required pulling the trigger as part of the dis-assembly as it was dangerous and just begging for a negligent discharge to happen.

To each their own

·
Registered
924 Posts
The P99Q is not available in the US. Do a search here & there are photos.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
When looking around for a new pistol, I was told to avoid any that required pulling the trigger as part of the dis-assembly as it was dangerous and just begging for a negligent discharge to happen.

To each their own
Have to disagree, my friend. I would say begging for a negligent discharge would be pulling the trigger on a loaded pistol, while hoping the "feel" of a spot is familiar enough, in order for the weapon to be safely decocked.

I appreciate your willingness to spread information, however, the procedure you describe it too risky. If I had that information, I probably wouldn't share it because I, personally, would not rest well passing that along to someone who just picked up their first gun and says, "I think this is the way he described.. *bang"

If you are worried about a negligent discharge on my previous post, I suggest performing the operations in sequence (see #1 and #2 before attempting #3)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I didn't agree about the disassembly either, otherwise I would never have bought the PPQ.

Pulling the trigger with the slide in the de-cock position won't fire the PPQ. At that point, there is no spring pressure on the striker and the trigger sear and the striker sear are not engaged. Pressing the trigger only lowers the trigger sear so it will not catch the striker sear as the slide is eased forward.

If pressing the trigger with the slide out of battery will cause the pistol to discharge, that is a design flaw and an owner should be aware

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.