Walther Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still relatively new to walther and was wondering where I could get a DAO. I tried my local gunshop (who happens to be an autherized dealer) without success and the links in the sticky at the top of the p99 section here but can't seem to find one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-polarcow

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
QAs and A/S's are easy to find - DAO models are very tough to find.

Are U familiar with the long, heavy trigger of the DAO? U may want a QA - which works like a Glock or XD trigger.

The DAo used to be the P990 - but Walther discontinued them - sales were poor.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
There is a P99/DAO in 9mm on gunbroker... but it's not cheap
also it does not have the ambi slide release.... which made the above just somewhat interesting since it was the first time that I have seen the ambi sliderelease other than on Walther's webpage or catalogs

sorry forgot the link
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=73331564

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I know about the longer pull but it is lighter than the DA on the AS I think. The ambi slide release is a big selling point for me as is the double strike capability. If only walther would make the AS with an ambi slide that would be perfect. Local dealer just called and said all hope is not lost just yet, but it may take a while.

-polarcow

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't know if it helps you any or not but the DAO pull weight is the same weight and length as the P99 AS pull when decocked. Personally I wouldn't put too much value on second strike either, if the round doesn't go off, rack the slide and get it out of the chamber. The ambi slide release though I could certainly see wanting if you're a lefty.

If you're looking for used don't forget that the DAO style of the older frame was called the P990, although I don't think it had ambi slide release.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thorn, I am in central-eastern NC.

Soybomb, I agree with the double strike not being a high priority but it is nice. I'm not a southpaw but would still prefer the ambi slide and it is in fact the only real reason I haven't bought another AS already. That and the fact that I really liked the "hump" in the trigger guard on the older models, but oh well.

I have looked at the new HK p30 (for the ambi slide and small "hump") but can't seem to come to terms with the external hammer.

-polarcow

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I heard from my dealer today that his supplier called walther to ask about the DAO and Walther said they are discontinued. Have I been living under a rock or is this news to everyone here also? Hopefully they will come out with an ambi slide release on all of their p99 models as I think it is the only feature they are lacking.

-polarcow

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
We all know how rumours start..... mostly this kinda rumour happens with HK's but I think S&W/Walther may be next in line
there is no way the DAO is discontinued.. S&W may not import it anymore but that is another story....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I heard from my dealer today that his supplier called walther to ask about the DAO and Walther said they are discontinued. Have I been living under a rock or is this news to everyone here also? Hopefully they will come out with an ambi slide release on all of their p99 models as I think it is the only feature they are lacking.-polarcow
I was having a similar problem finding a DAO so I e-mailed S&W. It was a rather cryptic response, but I'm assuming that means S&W is still importing them and we should be able to get one.

- Email -

Reply "Branchesi,Frank" <[email protected]>
The 99C DAO is still in our catalog. The sku for the 9mm is WAP80003 and the .40 WAP90003.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 8:29 PM
To: Smith & Wesson Support
Subject: P99 DAO Inquery

I was interested in purchasing a P99c DAO 9mm for carry and home
defense. I see that it is still listed in the catalog, but not on the
web site. I have only gone to 1 or 2 dealers but no one seems to have
it. I was curious if S&W has stopped importing the DAO, since I doubt
Walther has stopped manufactering it.

Thanks in advance for your response to my query.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's another DAO in .40 with the ambi-slide release.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=75528900

No affiliation or anything, but I think the DAO pull is even smoother than the AS. It's about the same pull weight but the smoothness may just makes it feel lighter. Only real downside it the long reset. Also they come with metal luminescent sights that glow like the dickens for hours after about five minutes in direct light.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts