Walther Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I doubt we have the ability to access the sources you’d need to determine how B-W stamped pistols made it to Denmark. But trading service pistols between German states wasn’t unheard of, so including Denmark wouldn’t be that exotic. Now that I think about it, trading pistols to another agency would explain why B-W obsessively obliterated its property mark, rather than just crossing it out or leaving it like most other states when surplusing the guns. But that, of course, is pure speculation ;)
The explanation I have heard is that Walther had a trade-in (or possibly buy-back) program where they obtained used service guns, overhauled them and resold them. Kinda like the "factory re-certified" guns you see from some manufacturers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Olle, understood the explanation. I wouldn't sell these guns as a Danish police surplus in general as you don't know what they really are...
I do know what they are, and I have no reason to question where they came from. It's entirely up to you if you want to believe me or not. I'm not adding a premium because of their history, but I don't see a reason to erase it either.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The explanation I have heard is that Walther had a trade-in (or possibly buy-back) program where they obtained used service guns, overhauled them and resold them. Kinda like the "factory re-certified" guns you see from some manufacturers.
Entirely possible that this is the way it happened, especially since B-W did continue with Walther pistols after the PP (PP Super, then P5).

Available sources aren‘t precise as to when exactly Denmark retired its PPs in favor of a 9mm, but all mentions place it after 1990, so for more than a decade after German states phased out the PP, Denmark would have maintained and purchased replacements for its inventory.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Entirely possible that this is the way it happened, especially since B-W did continue with Walther pistols after the PP (PP Super, then P5).

Available sources aren‘t precise as to when exactly Denmark retired its PPs in favor of a 9mm, but all mentions place it after 1990, so for more than a decade after German states phased out the PP, Denmark would have maintained and purchased replacements for its inventory.
Denmark was one of the last European countries to give up the PP, so it stands to reason that Danish police bought factory trade-ins when they became available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased two PPs from Olle; one marked "Manurhin" and one marked "Germany"; one via Gunbroker and one directly from him. My dealings with Olle were top drawer in all respects. Pleasant gentleman with whom do deal, extremely knowledgeable, and spot on with all he told me. Although the PPs are currently on hold at the FFL shop because of a bloated backlog with the Oregon State Police, I did get a chance to take a quick look at both in the store.
The light was not really good, but it was obvious that the pistols are probably a couple of the finest that ever crossed that counter, and any other counter. I will accept Olle's word that the pistols were with the Danish PD. He made it clear that he has no proof of that, but also made it clear why he believes that to be true. That's good enough for me. You won't regret dealing with him.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
As I'm from Germany, I wouldn't deal with Olle. In Germany we are able to get what we want.
My personal opinion is: Do I want to buy a gun or the story behind? And if the story behind is questionable, I bring it to question. I believe, he got some really nice guns. And in the US it's a fair deal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As I'm from Germany, I wouldn't deal with Olle. In Germany we are able to get what we want.
My personal opinion is: Do I want to buy a gun or the story behind? And if the story behind is questionable, I bring it to question. I believe, he got some really nice guns. And in the US it's a fair deal.
I have collected WWII guns for two decades now, so I'm a strong believer in the old adage "buy the gun, not the story". This is why I have priced the guns as guns only, and I haven't added a premium for the story (if you prefer to call it that). Whether you believe they're Danish police or not, you're still not paying more than you would pay for a run of the mill PP. Ain't that fair enough?

·
Registered
32 Posts
To me? Yes, you do.
It's up to you to tell any story. But please, not to me...
Do you understand that you're accusing me of lying? Also, what do you think I could gain by lying if I don't upcharge for the alleged lie? I'm not claiming that they belonged to Hermann Goering, and I'm not asking for a premium either. So once again, and keeping in mind that I don't charge anything extra for what you call a story: What is it really that bugs you?

I would certainly understand your point of view if I was asking $1500-$2000 for these pistols, but since I'm not it's just a mystery to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Martin, since you addressed your initial comment to me, it's time for me to step in; not something to which I am accustomed, but I'll give it a shot (pun intended). I'm puzzled as to what it is that you are trying to accomplish. You are from Germany, and that is fine, I have enjoyed at least a few trips to and through Germany. I even have a bit of German blood coursing through my veins, but I am from the USA, and, yes, we can get almost anything we want, here, too. I'm not new at this. I'm sliding out of my 6th decade of messing about with firearms. I carried them for many years as part of my chosen employment. I know a good firearm when I see one, and I have a fair inkling of when I am hearing a bad story, as I have had a fair bit of professional experience with both. I am happy with what I purchased. I am happy with the story I heard. Seems to me, that's where things should end?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I’m thinking this discussion has passed its point of continued usefulness.

Nobody seems to dispute that Olle is offering good pistols for the price regardless of the backstory.

I also think everybody agrees that the exact provenance of each of Olle’s PPs cannot be conclusively proven, but that the circumstantial evidence makes Danish police surplus at least a likely candidate. For Martin, that is insufficient basis to offer them headlined as a “Danish Police PP”. From the viewpoint of a serious collector, he is correct, as that overstates the available evidence.

But then, as this thread shows, any buyer concerned enough about the backstory, like the OP, can get it and evaluate it.

So I see little point in beating this dead horse further.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m thinking this discussion has passed its point of continued usefulness.

Nobody seems to dispute that Olle is offering good pistols for the price regardless of the backstory.

I also think everybody agrees that the exact provenance of each of Olle’s PPs cannot be conclusively proven, but that the circumstantial evidence makes Danish police surplus at least a likely candidate. For Martin, that is insufficient basis to offer them headlined as a “Danish Police PP”. From the viewpoint of a serious collector, he is correct, as that overstates the available evidence.

But then, as this thread shows, any buyer concerned enough about the backstory, like the OP, can get it and evaluate it.

So I see little point in beating this dead horse further.
Agree completely

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm sorry, but I can't help but write a comment from Germany about this thread as well:
I do not want to assume anything about the member Olle, but this case with the Danish police pistol is somewhat similar to the case that I described in this topic.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm sorry, but I can't help but write a comment from Germany about this thread as well:
I do not want to assume anything about the member Olle, but this case with the Danish police pistol is somewhat similar to the case that I described in this topic.
Jetzt aber mal bitte die Kirche im Dorf lassen.

There really is no similarity at all between an apparent attempt to reassemble parts to fake a rare collectible pistol, with the intent to deceive and defraud a buyer, and our issue here, which basically revolves around as just how definite the circumstantial evidence can be interpreted.

Drawing any parallel really is offensive toward Olle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1. I repeat it once again: I do not want to assume anything about the member Olle!
2. The similarity between the two cases is the following one:
A background of a pistol is described, which may be true but not provable.
Then, as Martin says, you should simply leave it out, because you don't know whether this background will increase the price in the event of a future resale
Incidentally, the American seller of the P38k logically lowered the price due to my intervention.
Olle does not need to do this, since at least he fairly does not charge any extra for the supposedly Danish service pistol.
3. It was pure coincidence that I discovered the faked P38k. Otherwise, this P38k would have been regarded as real in the future. That's the next similarity between the two cases.
P.S. That's my last comment to this topic.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts