Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to add another target 9mm 1911 to the collection, was between this and the Kimber stainless raptor 9mm.

I went with the PM9 this time, but I have a feeling I won't be able to live without the Raptor..

Only put 50 through it per the manual, then cleaned and re-lubed again. Shoots very well, and the fit/finish is fantastic.

·
Super Moderator
7,681 Posts
Keep us posted. Despite a real fondness for Prancing Ponies, I could be talked into a Dan Wesson.
Moon

·
Registered
343 Posts
As far as I know, Dan Wesson has an excellent reputation for reliable 1911s, even the 9mm ones particularly. I don't know where Kimber's quality control is at this point, as much as I hope they're turning it around. So my two cents is you made the best choice on this one.

If I were to carry a 1911, the 9mm Guardian would almost be my only consideration.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I know, Dan Wesson has an excellent reputation for reliable 1911s, even the 9mm ones particularly. I don't know where Kimber's quality control is at this point, as much as I hope they're turning it around. So my two cents is you made the best choice on this one.

If I were to carry a 1911, the 9mm Guardian would almost be my only consideration.
They certainly don't churn out a much product as Kimber, so that helps.

I've got two Dan Wessons now, a Sprinfield 9mm, and a Les Baer 9mm. I don't really want anymore 1911s as they're range toys/BBQ guns to me, but I've never had a Raptor and still think it's a sweet 1911. I did take one for a test drive recently..:D

·
Super Moderator
7,681 Posts
My only direct experience with Kimbers are a Solo (which ran after a trip back to the mothership) and a Mini 9mm picked up on a trade. The latter was not unpleasant to shoot, and worked all the time while I (briefly) had it.
Personally, I like defense firearms with precisely one control that matters (the bang switch). Hence, Glocks and Centennials.
Range toys are another matter all together.
Moon
ETA
AE, remind me to tell tales of DW corporate owner CZ's customer service. It is quite good if you actually can get hold of someone with a pulse.
M

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm with both of you on 1911s being range guns. Everything I carry is DA/SA or DAO striker fired. But a 1911 is just so fun to shoot that everyone needs one. Or a few. I have two old Kimbers in.45. Neither has ever given me any problems and that's with the Team Match II having over 10,000 rounds through it. But if I were buying now, I'd probably be looking at DW and Baer for this price range. Yours looks like it has every feature you need and none you don't, should be an awesome shooter.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just like 1911s that feel like quality. It drives me nuts how Colt 1911s rattle, and how 1911 that cost the same as DWs have tons of MIM parts.

I have nothing against MIM parts, I've owned tons of guns that use them, but they shouldn't cost as much as guns with more expensive to make parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.