Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the local shop order me a S&W compact 99. Came in last week - case hinges were crushed and something was wrong with the finish on the slide. Had "spots" all over it and they did not come off. Guy ordered me a new one, but the whole process got dragged out a few extra days w/ the hurricane situation.

The 2nd one should have been in yesterday, but didn't come in until today. Went to pick it up - same spots. Now I gotta wait on another. I have seen other S&W 99s w/o that finish messup, and the owner said he used to have one. So, he knows it shouldn't be that way....

Ugg, now I gotta wait another week...

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this just goes to illustrate why I should NOT order online. They have ordered 2 SW99s from their supplier and both were messed up. I'm taking a bigger chance by ordering online.

The owner of the store said they are out $25 for each gun - the cost of shipping them back. But, I'm not out anything. And, if they can't get it right, then I can get my 15% back...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Before I got my P99, I had an SW99. The SW99 was bought new, and the finish was very poor. To make matters worse, it jammed (FTF) often.

I was skeptical to even try the P99, but I'm so glad I did. It's just amazing.....awesome finish and 100% reliable right out of the box.

I hate to discourage you, but I would reconsider the SW99 in favor of a P99.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I want the Walther, but can't get my hands on one. I do not want to order one from online. In the past, I have ordered other guns thru this shop, and sometimes there has been a problem. Since it was ordered through that shop, though, they dealt w/ it.

These experiences have showed me I don't want to take the chance on my own.

·
Registered
525 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ Sep. 30 2005,22:52)]Well, this just goes to illustrate why  I should NOT order online. They have ordered 2 SW99s from their supplier and both were messed up. I'm taking a bigger chance by ordering online.

The owner of the store said they are out $25 for each gun - the cost of shipping them back. But, I'm not out anything. And, if they can't get it right, then I can get my 15% back...
I disagree, you won't be having finish problems on a P99. But anyway if you find a good dealer online, have them open it up and inspect it before they send it to you, it should form spots in transit

·
Registered
51 Posts
Shipwreck,

Ask your dealer if they can order a P99 for you from a distributor like Davidson's. There is a money-back guarantee and most of the big distributors will work with a local shop to make sure everything's done right.

ciadst

·
Registered
112 Posts
I recently ordered and bought my P99C with the AS trigger through a local gun shop here in NH, came in a few days, beautiful finish, operates great. Believe the distributor he got it from has more. If you decide to go with the P99C, have your delaer contact Pete's Gun Shop in Hudson, NH; let me know if you want the telephone number. From looking at their on-line inventory, looks like Davidson's has them as well, which is probably one of the best distributors to go through. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'll be talking to the shop tomorrow. If they can't come up w/ something. I may need the #

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, looks like I'll be getting a Walther compact afterall. The store said that all the Smiths from that supplier seem to have the same finish problems as the 2 they received so far.

The Walther is costing me an etxra $100, though - $550 instead of the $450 of the Smith. Not too thrilled about that. But... EVen if I ordered it elsewhere and paid the FFL fee in town, it would come out to almost that price.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like you made the right move, you should be real happy with the P99C, the fit and finish on mine is just beautiful, almost feel bad carrying and shooting it, it looks so nice. The finish on the slide is pretty durable as I lay it down on the bench top at the range all the time and does not seem to get scuffed or scratched. Has to be the most accurate compact pistol I have ever had. Hope your happy with yours when you get it.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Woo hoo! Finally came in today. I'm planning on going to try it out tommorrow. I've fired the full size S&W 99 before, but this will be my 1st time to fire a compact 99

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great, glad they got it in for you. Isn't it a great looking little pistol ! look forward to hearing about what you think of how it shoots. How does the factory test target look?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts