Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys thought I’d make an official post about this so I can give you updates. I purchased a brand new PPK/S yesterday. Upon inspection in good light I noticed the frame has some deep scratches.. you feel them with the nail how deep it is. Not sure how this got by QC.... I’m going to call them Monday to see if they can help. I used a permit on it. I live in a state the requires permits and they take forever to get. This is my first gun from them and I have never dealt with their customer service. I am a little concerned that they won’t do anything because on their website it says they do not warrantee cosmetic issues. Here is a picture. You would think that for the price you pay for this gun it should be perfect out of the box. Anyone with experience using their customer service. Do you think this is something they will work with me on? I’ll post updates if anyone is interested. Thanks everyone. Glad to be apart of the club.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Was there anything rattling around in the box with it like the spare magazine that could have caused those scratches ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I bought one of the new PPKs last year. I have a West German PPK and 3 Interarms. I was excited to invest in Walther’s return to PPK production. Mine looked great out of the box but it was a jam-o-matic with every type of ammo I tried. After 300 rounds of increasing scarce ammo I called the factory. I was going to return it for service but opted for the buy-back program instead. I sent the gun with a copy of the receipt from my gun store and 2 weeks later I had a check from Walther for the full purchase price, including tax. The gun was junk but they kept their word so no complaints.

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing in the box. First thing I looked for. I’ll give you guys update on what they say Monday. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I was thinking of doing it myself if Walther won’t fix it. So it’s just a white scotch pad? I hear others say maroon. My only concern is that the scratches are quite deep. When you run your finger nail across it they go in. It’s almost as if somebody took a pocket knife and scratched it deep. Will your method work on those types of scratches?

·
Registered
312 Posts
The scratches do not seem what deep, as you can still see the horizontal natural grain through them.

I have used all of the various colors of Scotch Bright, and have found that results will vary based on how course or fine the natural grain is... Buy different colors to see what matches best. (Hint: green never seems to work.)

If you do fix it yourself, follow these rules:

1. Use a lubricating medium, like WD-40 or oil. (I prefer WD-40 for the ease of cleaning)
  2. Use a mechanical tool like a ruler or similar to make the strokes, and not your fingers.
  3. Make long strokes that start well before and after the damaged area.
  4. Go only in the direction of the natural grain.
  5. Feather the stroke so that the most pressure is applied on the affected area and the lightest pressure at the beginning and ends of the stroke. (Go lightly. Don't be heavy handed)
I'm sure that Walther will take care of you since this is the way you bought the gun, but they will not warrant the finish under normal use of the gun, and the above advise may be your best bet in keeping your stainless gun blemish free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I emailed the pics to Walther and they told me to send it in. They gave me a shipping label. Im curious to see if they take care of it. Hope they Do. I appreciate everyones advice but I am ham fisted and would probably do more damage trying to fix it myself. Lol so I’ll give you guys Updates if anyone is curious how this plays out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok here is the picture, they did an amazing job and had it back to me in about a week. Which is crazy considering I had to send a 686 in to SW and I didn’t get it back for 3 months..Really impressed with Walther here. They made it right in a timely manner.My first Walther and definitely not my last.

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
Looks good....up close and personal....can you detect any change in the texture (fineness of the grain) of the repolished area when compared to similar areas on the frame? The trigger guard obviously has a bit rougher polish. Would be good to know what grain size they use on these pistols. 100, 80, 60 grit to aid owners in touching up their own other than by trial and error.. Some old pistols were polished by wire brush I believe. Over time you will likely get a few more such marks if you carry and shoot the pistol and pretty soon....you likely won't care too much. But a brand new gun right out of the box....glad they made it like new again. 1917

·
Super Moderator
7,445 Posts
1917', concur that it is useful to be able to touch up scuffs on stainless guns, and it is relatively easy.
Glad it worked out for the OP.
Moon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I notice no difference in texture or feel when inspecting the ppks. I tried to get details on how they repaired it and the most they would tell me is “We buffed it out”. I didn’t get the impression they were interested in giving me exact details. Which kind of sucks. I would have liked to know as well. Regardless they did an amazing job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
View attachment 96720 View attachment 96719 Ok here is the picture, they did an amazing job and had it back to me in about a week. Which is crazy considering I had to send a 686 in to SW and I didn’t get it back for 3 months..Really impressed with Walther here. They made it right in a timely manner.My first Walther and definitely not my last.
Looks great, glad Walther CS came through for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts