Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am not gun smith but I think I have been told that indicates the shell is hitting some part of the ejection port on its way out.

If the pistol works perfectly otherwise (no jams or feed problems) then who cares? Unless you are reloading.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It would be easy to tell if that is happening during feeding or extraction. Let the pistol cycle, then slowly open the slide and remove the cartridge. Is the mark there? No, then is during the extraction after firing that your getting the dent...
I think you are right though, most dents like that that I've seen were during extraction... Do you have any brass marks on your slide around the extractor? If you do, then that's were it's hitting...
I've reloaded for years and although I don't like dents of any kind, it looks to me that you could still reload those. I think the resizer would straighten the dents out. They don't look that big to me... Over a few reloadings, it would probably shorten the over all life of the brass, but inspecting ones brass each time you reload it is just part of the reloading process...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't even buy my ammo fast enough to shoot as much as I'd like (I'm talking about delivery problems, not financial, thank God), let alone I'd be reloading.

No, I just would like to know if this fellow shooter, who has a lot more experience than I do, but not with Walther, is right that there might be a problem with my pistol.

I'll check the slide again, but I haven't seen anything even when I took it completely apart. Only brass I've seen is on the ramp.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Reloading isn't just about saving money. I look at it as an extension of my hobby... But, any way, that's not the issue here...

If your pistol is function 100%, then I'd say you have no problem... Not being a gunsmith, you need to take my opinion with a grain of salt... (a GREAT BIG grain of salt)
It's my opine that your extractor spring is a little over zealous. Meaning, a Little too strong... Now what you need is to hear from some one who really knows what they are talking about...
If you do find out exactly what is causing the dents, please post back as I'm very curious as to the cause of them...

·
Registered
713 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Ive seen 45Gov model do worst. I never see my brass as I shoot in my yard and it disappears in to grass. I forget about it till I am on my old rideing mower. Then I hear ping ping and see family running for cover. Its not as accurate but lots of fun

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'ts great to se a nature lover like you, Michael. I suppose you don't bother about the lead either?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead. Anyone have more thoughts on this subject?

I just went through a box of Magtech ammo. The first through the new to me SW PPK/S.
I noticed that each shell casing has a dimple just like the pictures above. Not as sharp, but the location is the same. Every shell casing has some form of distortion or dimpling.

I am tempted to believe the "overzealous extractor" theory. This little gun can really throw the brass. I shot it side by side with my Beretta 92FS. The PPK/S tossed the brass 3'-6' farther.

I too was a little worried that I may have a problem, but feel somewhat comforted that others have the same sort of experience. Mine shot fine. I did have a little issue with an ill fitting wood grip, but with a little trimming the trigger resets properly now.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Try holding the gun very firmly, straight arm, two hand hold and see if it makes any difference. Your first casing looks like one that fed ahead of the extractor. That's why the case mough ding. The others look like typical happy high speed extraction from a blowback pistol. You can try some things to have pretty cases (springs and such) but if you don't reload it's probably fine like it is... :)

Milspec
US Army Ordnance Corps (Retired)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts