Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
D-Day+70 Celebration airing now on Euronews live on Sword Beach.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
God bless them all

Just lost my uncle who fought through France as part of the Big Red One, including the Bulge.
That's a tough loss, my condolences.

Your uncle and my dad fought on the same battle field, at the same time.

God bless them all.

Photo

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Lest we forget....

·
Registered
854 Posts
Sadly I know very little beyond the fact that he was a combat engineer. He was a great guy but unable and unwilling to share his war experiences. He spent many years at the bottom of a bottle after the war before getting clean. At his funeral over a hundred fellow AA members came to say his mentoring was key to their sobriety.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The people of the earth owe a greater debt to those who fought in WWII then to any other army in any other conflict in all of history. This really was the mankind's head on the block war, if it was lost I fear so would have been any future for mankind.

BTW, been watching the "Band Of Brothers" marathon on HBO. Fitting that they air to today.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
They were a special group of people. Could you imagine the backlash if this battle happened today with the 24 hour news cycle?
You would have MSNBC dig up a retired general commenting real time on how much it was a failure.

Sadly we're losing the WWII vets on a daily basis and we can't do enough to thank them for their bravery.

·
Premium Member
8,562 Posts
My father hit those beaches on D+3....even though I grew up in a military family, I must have been 10 or 12 before I realized what his "decorations" meant.

He'd always tell me "Oh, I got those for being on time in the mess line."

When I was 12 he sat me down and explained the facts of life: "We study war to keep the peace." Those words always stuck with me.

I only learned of his heroism from men who served under him during his "walking tour of Europe".

He rests peacefully at Arlington National Cemetery among his honored brethren.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'd like to give a "shout out" to my wife's Uncle Frank. He was a Combat Medic with the 22 Infantry Regiment, landed on Utah Beach and made it to St. Lo before being severely wounded.

He was 19 years old.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
My dad went in on day two with anti-aircraft guns. Made it through to cross the Rhur, then got blown out of a gunmount by an 88 round. Medevac'd out to England. He lived to within a month of his 70th birthday. Somewhere here is an 8x10 glossy of he and his crew using a Nazi flag and ramrod to clean the barrel of one of the 50's. And I still have that flag.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Just lost my uncle who fought through France as part of the Big Red One, including the Bulge.
Cantigny Park in Warrenville, IL (might be Wheaton) has a large, and I mean large, museum dedicated to the Big Red One. My wife and I frequent the parks/gardens/museum multiple times a year. I'll be sure to say a prayer for him the next time we're through (and one now, of course).

God bless your Uncle, and your family. He was part of what makes this country great.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts