Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my 2012 CZ 83 in .380 ACP to the range today. It had originally come with black plastic grips but I purchased a wood replacement set from CZ-USA several years ago.

After the first magazine today I noticed that the right grip panel had snapped in half!

CZ no longer supports this model. Does anyone know who originally manufactured these grips or recognize the symbol that is written inside of them?

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Wood Trigger Revolver Wood stain

Registered
Sorry to hear of your grip breaking, that must have been quite the surprise! Makes me wonder if that grip screw was tightened too much perhaps? Well, I suppose if that was the case it doesn't matter now anyway! Unfortunately, in my experience (and I am super anal), gluing wooden grips back together never seems to work very well (you can always see the glue and wherever small pieces/shards of wood are missing, which all draw your eye to the repair), and although wooden grips look nice, it may be time to strap on the original plastics.

I own a model 82 and 83, both in 9mmMak, and they're great guns that were ahead of their time (polygonal rifled barrel, ambidextrous slide and mag releases), with them, along with my Makarov's, representing the only blowback handguns I can still comfortably fire.

I'd venture to guess that the markings inside the grip panels are simply inspectors marks.

Best wishes with a repair or finding replacement wooden grips.

Registered
The 82/83 models have very thin grip panels. I'd go back to the plastic ones. I suspect if the grain of the wood ran horizontally instead of vertically they might be stronger...

Registered

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered a set of oiled walnut from Marschal Grips of Hungary last night. Fast communication. I emailed them a question and got a response within five minutes. Now the wait. Their website says 10-16 weeks.

Premium Member
The 82/83 models have very thin grip panels. I'd go back to the plastic ones. I suspect if the grain of the wood ran horizontally instead of vertically they might be stronger...
Then they might split horizontally. :D
If Mother Nature was thinking long ago, she might have made trees with growth rings offset 90 degrees from one to the next for firearms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts