Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to carry my P-5 more than any of my other pistols. I've already decided to have it brush-chromed. The black standard original grips are lacking, though.

Anybody knows where I can order custom-made wood grips? Prefer pink ivory(no, it's not that pinkish) and I can supply the wood.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hogue used to offer custom grips for various handguns. Try contacting them and ask if they still do custom work. If they don't, I would think that any custom cabinetmaker or an avid woodworking hobbyist could make a very nice set of grips, based on the original plastic ones.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello blueiron,

Hogue is certainly a possibility. Didn't know they did custom work. Already, they seem to be doing P-5 grips. Will definitely contact them. Your ideas are very welcome.

And now that you mentioned it, my neighbor is a custom woodworker(furniture). Probably will be able to get him drunk and perhaps make him accept the job. A couple of bottles should do the trick. Thanks.

Hello P88,

The problem with Earl's is that he only carries walnut grips. And the idea for my P-5 is brushed chrome leaving the barrel, sights and trigger, black. Mag plates chromed. Which leads me to another type of wood. Ebony. Should look good, probably better than pink ivory grips. Or maybe I can stain the walnut, black.  Interesting, really appreciate your input.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only two(2) possibilities now. With both, the barrel, sights and trigger remain black.
If Hogue grip, then brush chromed and the grip dyed with Dick Blick waterproof India ink. Will look like ebony with a slight sheen.
If Earl's, then the walnut with thumbrest and the gun will be matte chromed. Should look like my Benelli.

Darn, I might even buy another P-5!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P-5 going tomorrow for brushed chroming. Nill grip, Rhomlas surface. Rhomlas surface area probably to be dyed with Dick Blick waterproof India ink. Rest of grip area to remain walnut. Topcoat over the whole grip, possibly tung oil. Sights, barrel and trigger to remain black.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've seen one other P5 that was chromed. It looked pretty good. Please post pix when you get it back!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure. Will post, Kevin.

BTW guys, Hogue is only carrying the rubber grips for the P-5. Phone lady couldn't tell me if it had finger grooves. $22.95. No custom work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
jehzsa - did you send her off for the work?

I tried dying a set of sacrificial stippled Nills for my P7M8 with truly miserable results - I am most interested in your results should you try the ink.

Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello bhp,

Got my P5 back yesterday. Nill's haven't been received yet. To tell you the truth, it looks great with the factory grips. And I'm having second thoughts about dyeing the Nill's when they finally arrive.

With the headache that I have right now, I'm thinking about taking my time. Perhaps the Nill's will look better staying walnut. Perhaps I should dye them all black. Perhaps only the Rhomlas area. Perhaps keep the factory and sell the Nill's. Probably will know when they arrive and see them on.

BTW, please don't tell me that you used Dick Blick waterproof india ink.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Please Post Pics! I'm very curious in seeing and hearing your thoughts about the results.
I couldn't find the Dick Blick India Ink so I went with a black stain. Even after light fine sanding of the flat areas it simply did not take to it well. The Nill lacquer must be really tough and the stain just ran off the stippled areas. Perhaps the ink and your skills can do a far better job but I failed miserably after taking considerable time, patience, and effort.
Looking forward in seeing it!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello bhp,
Dick Blick waterproof india ink can be found in an art supplies store. Or over the internet.

The reason I selected the Rhomlas is because of the finish. Oiled. Stippled, which I find nicer, is lacquered. Oil finish can be taken out with denatured alcohol. To strip lacquer I will quote from a gunsmithing page,
" Removing lacquer or varnish finishes is easiest with general citrus-based paint strippers, which you can purchase at any hardware store. Brush it on, let it do its work, then blot it off. Don't rub, scrub or try to help, you'll just press the old finish down into the pores of the wood."

After you let it dry overnight, then use DB. Probably will need two or perhaps three thin applications. But it will look like ebony. HTH.

Pics probably will be taken in November. Schedule of friend with camera. And I still haven't received the Nill's. Will try scanning it, though. See if it works.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Many Thanks Jehzsa,
I'll try this this week sometime. I originally looked for the Blick ink at a couple of art stores but I found another that I'll try when it's open.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks Again,
b-

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello bhp,
Those grips sure look good on that blued P5. I can see why you miss it. Received my Nill's today and look wayyyy too funky with the brushed chrome. Ordered the DB india ink. $2.38 for 3 oz. and $6.95 for shipping! Whatever.

My Nill's are the stippled variety and not the Rhomlas I ordered. Prefer the one I got. My initials are not the KN that come with the Rhomlas. So, so far so good. Will dye the whole grip black instead, rather than solely the Rhomlas surface. Walnut doesn't really go with brush chrome.

Prefer the thickness of the Nill's, better than the plastic. "Fills" my hand. Will post pic when finished.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brush chrome and black accents with the walnut Nill's? Are you sure, Walrus? It's not a pretty sight!

OK, I'll do it. But I'm not responsible for any damage to people's retinas.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks Walrus & Jehzsa!
Please do post before and afters. I'm also very interested in your dye job as I haven't attempted it yet.
Looking forward to it!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts