Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm so excited, I just have to tell someone what I'm having done to my PPK/S. This is my second PPK/S. The first one was stolen from me back in 1994. I loved that gun so much that I knew I would have another for my EDC gun. Well 3 months ago I got a new S&W PPK/S .380. The first 5-6 magazines I had a few feeding issues and then the gun broke in and I had no problems after that. I wanted some work done to make this great gun into the gun I'll EDC for the rest of my life. Doing some research I chose Jojo's Gunworks in Southington Ct. to do my work. It was Jojo's or LaRocca Gun Works in Worcester Mass. Both are 45 minutes from my house. Both had awesome reviews. Jojo's was in state and I had no desire to deal with the crazy Massachusetts gun laws. On Sunday March 11 I went to the shop with my PPK/S and met Jody, he's one of the owners of Jojo's. I asked Jody if he did work on Walther PPK/S', He said yep what's wrong with it? I said nothing & Jody said that's a good start. What do you want done? So this is the list I gave him and we took about an hour talking about it.

First priority
- Polish & Blend Feed Ramp & Barrel
- Polish & Adjust Extractor
- Polish Breach Face
- Tune up & Deburr inside Parts
- Tune & Lighten Trigger
- Install Front & Back Novak Tritium Night Sights

Second priority
- Checker Front Bottom ½ Strap 30 lpi
- Checker Back Strap 30 lpi
- Checker Trigger Guard
- Checker or Stripe 5-6 lines trigger
- Checker Hammer

Third priority / Nice to have
- Laser Cut Small OO7 logo under mag button
- Glass Bead Blast to a Matte Finish
- Gripping cut in front of slide to match rear

Most of the things in the first priority section was covered in their reliably package and Jody said all the springs will be replaced with Wolff Springs. Jody also said he'll mill in some nice small Novak sights. Jody then had me check out the nicest 1911 I've ever scene, The engraving & checkering was perfect. Jody looked at all the checkering work I wanted and he said "you want this gun to stick to your hand don't ya?" I said "I want to feel like I'm Spiderman holding this gun. Jody said that I shouldn't checker the trigger, that way I'll have a little play with my grip. If I still want it done it can be done later. I agreed.

For the third priority part I got a chuckle and a that's cool for the OO7 laser engraving. I played with that, Captain Bugles and some other fire department related engravings. Jody said that he won't charge me for the matte finish because He had to refinish the gun after doing the other work. Jody didn't want to cut the gripping at the front of the slide because He don't like putting hands near the front of the gun. He agreed to put them on after I showed him that the Crimson Trace Laser covered 1/2 of the right side gripping on the slide and with my big fingers it was hard to rack the gun. Jody asked if I wanted the edges softened. I said, sure. I then told Jody that "this is the gun that will be my EDC gun for the rest of my life so, take your time and do this right". Jody asked me if I would mind some surprises? I said if it makes my PPK/S better, go for it. I then said "you're the pro and you & I are on the same page, I'm giving you permission to do whatever you want to make my gun better and more reliable. Jody had me leave a magazine and 20 rounds of my EDC ammunition. He said it should be about 2 months.

I'll post more with photos when I get my gun back from Jojo's. 10 days down 50ish to go.

To better protect mt PPK/S I ordered a new leather lined holster from High Noon Holsters. I have on order a Slide Guard in black. I have a Under Taker Shoulder Holster from High Noon Holsters for my 1911. The quality of their holsters are very good.

So, here I sit....... waiting ..............and waiting ......and still waiting .... ho hum.

Jojo's Gunworks.

Update #1 Photos start at post #21.
Update #2 Detail photos start at post #38
Update #3 Price list on post #85.
Update #4 Sight information on post #92.
Update #5 Remove engraving from the slide post #95

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Forgot to mention, I'm also having the beaver tail reshaped to look like an original PPK/S. I never got slide bite with my old PPK/S. Knock on wood, I'll have the same luck with this gun. I'm sure there's more things we talked about that I'm forgetting now. Jody was taking all kinds of notes. Anyone have any questions just ask. I'll let you in on my though process....... and waiting

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
That's a lot of work for a pistol that seemed to be working for you. :) Just curious as to why you chose a S&W model to start with; why not an Interarms pistol, where you wouldn't have to reshape the tang to make it match the original design?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's a lot of work for a pistol that seemed to be working for you. :) Just curious as to why you chose a S&W model to start with; why not an Interarms pistol, where you wouldn't have to reshape the tang to make it match the original design?
The main reason I didn't go with a Interarms PPK/S is I never have luck with used items, not used cars, not used camping gear and not used guns. I learned long ago not to buy other peoples problems. If I could've found a brand new Interarms PPK/S I would've been all over it. This all started out with me just wanting the feed ramp polished & checking on the front & back straps. Then I started dreaming about a custom PPK/S. I had the money to finally do a custom gun. I always wanted a good, reliable one of a kind custom gun. The reshaping of the tang wasn't in my plan at all. To be honest, I could care less one way or another about the tang. When I was talking with Jody, The subject of the shape of the old PPK/S' came up. Jody quoted me such a low price to reshape it I told him to do it. Just to add to that one of a kind custom thing. It kind of goes with 007 engraving, not needed, something different.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Certainly looking forward to those pictures. Hope it turns out well for you.

Reactions: terracin

·
Registered
277 Posts
Captatnman, happy to hear you got another PPK/S and are able to get it built the way you want!!

Don't forget the photographs when you get it back...........

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MLB & Conman37, thanks. I promise that there will be a bunch of photos for all to enjoy and/or pick apart.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I am sure you know what you want or require from your S&W PPK/s .380. But I am just very happy with my stock S&W PPK/s .380. In the First priority besides the new sights I really don't see any need for any of it. Maybe I am missing something. To me my PPK/s is a close up use handgun say 10 foot at the most I don't see it as a target shooting handgun.;)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Oh...but you have to make your gun your own. Get all the mud-flaps and fender skirts on there and you will have a one-of-a-kind.

I know some of you guys don't remember back that far, but at one time as opposed to mega-blasting stereos, pastel-colored neon lights and wheels big enough to fit a school-bus....fender-skirts, mirrors and multiple antennas were all the rage.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Shows my age!!

Oh...but you have to make your gun your own. Get all the mud-flaps and fender skirts on there and you will have a one-of-a-kind.

I know some of you guys don't remember back that far, but at one time as opposed to mega-blasting stereos, pastel-colored neon lights and wheels big enough to fit a school-bus....fender-skirts, mirrors and multiple antennas were all the rage.
Darned if I do remember those things..but early Chevy offerings were the hot items of the day back then for me anyway. 1955/56 and 1957 chevies were hot and the Corvettes too.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am sure you know what you want or require from your S&W PPK/s .380. But I am just very happy with my stock S&W PPK/s .380. In the First priority besides the new sights I really don't see any need for any of it. Maybe I am missing something. To me my PPK/s is a close up use handgun say 10 foot at the most I don't see it as a target shooting handgun.;)
Just a little more details here. Most of that hour Jody and I talked about the gun was on how to lighten everything up, lighten the trigger pull on both stages, lighten recoil, & lighten the force needed to rack the gun. Putting the front gripping on the slide goes with this too. I'm in remission now but, I have spine cancer and that did a number on my nerves. One of the treatments I went through to get rid of the cancer did even more nerve damage. To say the least my sense of touch is crap. I need all the help I can get to make shooting as enjoyable as it use to be. Most of my target shooting is at 25 feet.

Reactions: terracin

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I say it's your pistol and you do whatever you want to satisfy yourself. None of us have forever to live on this planet with our material things....so enjoy what you have while you can. When people ask me why I do things that they perceive as stupid....I just say, because I can. Immerse yourself in this....sounds like you are having a great time.

Here's hoping for your improving health!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I say it's your pistol and you do whatever you want to satisfy yourself. None of us have forever to live on this planet with our material things....so enjoy what you have while you can. When people ask me why I do things that they perceive as stupid....I just say, because I can. Immerse yourself in this....sounds like you are having a great time.

Here's hoping for your improving health!
Thanks, my health is improving daily by leaps & bounds.
So I shouldn't feel weird about the purple frame and orange slide durra coat job being done to the PPK/S? Do y'all think custom chartreuse Crimson Trace grips would be too much? I didn't say anything because I thought I might get razzed.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, no photos yet. I'm going to swing by Jojo's In the next few days to give them some cash for a Spikes stripped Bio-hazard AR lower/upper. I'll bring my camera & try to sneak some photos :cool:.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I am a Harley nut and one of my riding companions is hung-up on the color purple. EVERY motorcycle he has ever owned was purple. Being razzed may have been a problem for a lesser rider, but this guy is over 6-feet tall and weighs-in at close to 300-pounds, as well as carries a gun in his fairing pouch. I've NEVER heard anybody give him a hard time.:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
custom

> I have spine cancer and that did a number on my nerves. One of the >treatments I went through to get rid of the cancer did even more nerve >damage. To say the least my sense of touch is crap.

I have idiopathick radicular neuropathy ( among other things ) , technacaly accoriding to wikepedias definitions , I am a cyborg . and as result I KNOW what you mean, my left hand most parts you could stick a needle in it and i wouldnt know
I have a hell of a time racking theese small handguns.
I had thought about having some kind of nub welded to the slide , and sort of hinged forward so it would slip into a holster , then pop out when drawn .

As it sits if i ever had a jam or somthng requiring a re rack in a stressfull situation , I woud be screwed , its almost a strange ritual how I pull it off

Maybe i should write redJacket

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I feel for all you guys that still want to shoot...in spite of the infirmities. Hanging anything on the slide is going to up-set the balance and likely lead to all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
cant wait to see what the end result is capt! Im trying to do a lot of similar things with my smith ppk. some internal polishing, wolff springs, wanna do a uniform brushed stainless on the outside though, and I absolutly wanna reshape the tang on mine to original specs. Im approx 2 1/2 hrs from jojos but wouldnt mind taking the trip if they do great work

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't even imagine what kind of surprises they're going yo do to it (I have my hunches). Jojo's is in the process of redoing there web site. Jody was very excited to get my Walther in so they can get photos of their work for their web page. With my gun being on their page showing what they can do to Walthers, I'm sure that Jojo's is going to go above and beyond to make this gun awesome. I got a very good feeling about Jojo's, it seemed like we were best friends just hanging & talking after just a few minuets ... very nice guys. The engraving work & checkering that they showed me was well above par. I think these guys really know their guns. Now if my gut feelings are right I'll have an awesome PPK/S.

Disclaimer: The only affiliation I have with Jojo's or any of the employees there is what you see. I hired them to work on my gun.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts