Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the money for this right now but what do you guys think of this idea? This Crown Over "N", 90 degree safety .32 PPK is on GunBroker right now for under $400. It has a horrible finish but a perfect bore and perfect mottled light brown pre-war bakelite grips. Since it's really not a collectible is such bad shape and restoring it won't make it worth more, I was think it would be a great starting point for a custom Walther PPK.

I really like how the Novak sights look and would function on a PPK. I think there is enough steel on the old guns to dovetail for the sights (same as a new gun).

I would have a beavertail grip safety heliarc welded on like this one too:

A bit of an action job with new springs and then I'd have the whole gun plated. Some type of plating would have to done to cover the weld instead of blueing.

I remember seeing a gun similar to this 20+ years ago at an NRA National Meeting. It was bright nickel plated and also had a finger groove heliarc welded on the front of the grip. It had custom grips and MMC sights and the slickest DA and SA triggers I ever felt on a PPK. I've wanted a totally customized PPK ever since. The finger groove gave it a very unique look with the big beavertail. It made that particular PPK look very, very "serious."

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
That old PPK has a ton of charecter, just look at it and wonder all the places it has been. It would be a shame to polish, buff and weld it into a modern "custom" pistol.

Even though I think an original .32 PPK needs absolutely nothing in the way of custom refinements, I would advocate getting a modern Interarms pistol and if you want beavertails and such - have at it. Considering the advances in steel, a newer pistol would be a better piece for a lot of shooting.

But that pre-war gun? Going custom on it would be like cutting up an original S&W .357 Magnum to make an eight shot shub nose. Leave this PPK to a collector who wants a pre-war, but can't afford the $1500 for a better one. Who knows the history of that old PPK, I don't think they ever found Hitler's pistol.

You should be able to get a Interarms, blue or stainless for around the same price.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright 153, ya got me with the "let someone buy it who can't afford a $1500 one." If I do it, I'll get a blued Interarms one. I already have my Zella-Mehlis .32 pre-war....

It's a great shooter with a perfect bore and mechanics. The grips are flawless too! I wouldn't dare touch this little PPK as it's an excellent example of the era.

The thing about the beavertail is that you can't blue over the weld. It has to be covered by some form of plating (NP3, bright or satin nickel, Robar, etc). It does appear that someone has figured out how to add stainless to the grip tang and then blend it to blend the addition into the finish though. Maybe I should use a stainless gun.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I really like that Cylinder and Slide PPK. I've never seen one before. Actually you don't hear much about the customization of the PPK line. Be nice if S&W made a run of those.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
The wait is endless at Cylinder & Slide and the prices are out of this world IMHO.... but they are nowdays the only ones to convert the PP, PPK, PPK/S into a lefty configuration.
Walther at some point did a factory run of lefty PP's which would be a great find for a colletor. (there was only 3 and the prototypes... and the rest were made for the Hamaburg's police by special order)
I think you might contacting PT nightsights to see if they will do nightsights for the PP, PPK, PPK/S. You would have to send in the slide for the work only and I hear their sights rock.....

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy mackeral! That pre-war PPK with a pretty lousy finish sold for $791 on GunBroker! That shows a 90 degree safety Crown Over N proofed PPK with non-cracked grips still commands a high price. I thought it would go for under $450. So my concept would be much more affordable if it was a new PPK or at least an Interarms version.

153, my dad bought me that PPK because he saw it at a gun show and it was a really good deal. He bought it because he knew I always wanted one.
When he passed away, I had to sell his others to raise money for my mom. It was tough to see them go.

He had a mint, in the box 1965 PPK .22!
I sold a 90 degree safety PPK and a 60 degree safety PPK (both pre-war Zella-Mehlis .32's).
And I sold his RZM. The Blue Book of Gun Values for 2007 says a 100% RZM is worth $2500. I sold his 98% gun for $3500! I sure miss the guns though. But I have some really good photos of them. And they're in collectors hands now who really appreciate them.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
mm6mm6,

Sorry to hear about you having to sell those other pistols. It sounds like your Dad was a smart collector! Pretty great guy to buy you that PPK too!!

All the more reason to keep that one you have!!!

As for the RZM marked pistol. I actually owned one many years back. Bought it without any clear understanding of what the RZM mark meant. It was in pretty fair shape, probably alot like your PPK. In one of my many foolish attempts to "cull" my collection I sold it. I don't remember for how much but I bet it was about $400!!!

Those pre-war Walthers are beautiful pieces. The fit, finish are every part the equal of the highly prized S&W and Colt products. The pre-war Walthers make the post war models look GI by comparision, and I consider the post war PP and PPK pistols about as high quality as anyone could hope for.

Again, yours is a PPK to cherish! :cool:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Notice the one on GB you are looking at has the 90 degree safety, makes it rarer, better to leave it alone and find the correct mag. Also the 90 degree safetys are prone to breakage, that's why they changed the design to a 60 degree safety.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts