Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Nice! I researched how to do this myself as I wanted to customize foam inserts for various gun cases. I think the wood template you did is really professional especially if you want to custom cut many cutouts.

An alternate way to do this if you just want to cut one per gun is to lay the piece directly on to the foam and use a dark felt marker and trace the outline of the gun on to the foam. Then using a common razor knife that you can buy at Home Depot (the kind where you can thumb the blade out and back) and just extend the razor blade to beyond the thickness of your foam. Keeping the knife at a 90 deg angle to the foam, it should glide right through it.

To create that insert piece that the weapon rests on, just slice it to half thickness and stick it back in to the foam.

Nice job. I guess you got yourself a new profession now!

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeppers......I kicked around using a knife, build a hotwire cutter or use a scroll saw. I DID try a knife, but wasn't pleased at how it was going so I quit. Then I'd kinda settled on a scroll saw, so I cruised the net (ebay, amazon) looking at scroll saws. I setteled on a 16" Crastsman for around $125 or so. Then made a run to Sears and low and behold, they had one in stock @ 10% off plus another 5% if you use your Sears card. Wham.....took that one home. After arriving back at the house I was out in the garage looking for something and I said 'wait a minute....what the %$#& is that' 'its a scroll saw'. Then I remembered....got that from an old dude that passed away about 10 years ago....I'd never used it....and obviously, forgot I had it.

Long story short I took the new one back to Sears.

I DID have to purchase a conversion kit to allow that old saw to accept/use 'plain end' blades. Once I got everything set up, it probably only took 2 or 3 minutes to make the cut around the template. But the prep time was a few hours.

Now, I've got to decide what other things I want to put in the case around the gun.....a PPQ maybe....mags for each and maybe some cutouts for a couple of boxes of ammo....maybe a hole for some tools/accessories/stuff.

I do still have some interest in building a hotwire table. My only question is will the hot wire process (melting foam) leave a hard (semi melted) edge around the cuts. Only way to find out is to build a hot wire setup and cut a piece of foam.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Yeppers......I kicked around using a knife, build a hotwire cutter or use a scroll saw. I DID try a knife, but wasn't please at how it was going so I quit. Then I'd kinda settled on a scroll saw, so I cruised the net (ebay, amazon) looking at scroll saws. I setteled on a 16" Crastsman for around $125 or so. Then made a run to Sears and low and behold, they had one in stock @ 10% off plus another 5% if you use your Sears card. Wham.....took that one home. After arriving back at the house I was out in the garage looking for something and I said 'wait a minute....what the %$#& is that' 'its a scroll saw'. Then I remembered....got that from an old dude that passed away about 10 years ago....I'd never used it....and obviously, forgot I had it.

Long story short I took the new one back to Sears.

I DID have to purchase a conversion kit to allow that old saw to accept/use 'plain end' blades. Once I got everything set up, it probably only took 2 or 3 minutes to make the cut around the template. But the prep time was a few hours.

Now, I've got to decide what other things I want to put in the case around the gun.....a PPQ maybe....mags for each and maybe some cutouts for a couple of boxes of ammo....maybe a hole for some tools/accessories/stuff.

I do still have some interest in building a hotwire table. My only question is will the hot wire process (melting foam) leave a hard (semi melted) edge around the cuts. Only way to find out is to build a hot wire setup and cut a piece of foam.

Wow. You've been busy today.

No idea what type of edge the foam is left with after hot wire cutting.

Let us know.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^^^So, you're wanting a solid piece of foam and do ah, cut to fit?

I've been watching some hotwire foam cutting videos. I gotta say, at this point the ole scroll saw might just be the winner. I need to go look at my brothers scroll saw, I'm thinking changing blades on his is super simple. On mine, and since I had to add an aftermarket '*******' kit to it, removing and reattaching the blade is a royal PITA.

You DO have to punch a hole thru the foam, detach the blade, insert the blade thru the hole in the foam, then reattach the blade, prior to making the cut.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yep, I watched a lot of those videos too. Seems as the electric knife is the tool of choice for the...let's see....how do I say this....uh....'cost conscious'. It'll get the job done, cheaply as well as fast. Precision, however, comes in last place.

A better choice would be a hotwire setup. Cost a tad more, and is MUCH more precise. However, even the hotwire has a drawback. The wire seems to get gooped up after a long cut and will start making a jagged cut. Just need to keep your wire clean.

And, my choice is the scroll saw. Once again, costing more. But the cuts are much closer to a laser cut piece of foam.

Using either method, the end result is a reflection of how much prep time went in to the project, prior to making the cuts. The actual cutting took me a couple of minutes. Making the wooden template took considerably more time....but was HUGELY worth it.

Now I'm fiddling around with making some ammo box and magazine templates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.