Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a similar vein as the .357 sig barrels that the forum members have banded together to get produced, I'm curious if this may be an accessory that you'd like to have.

I'm aware that there is a special edition Walther P99 in the market in very small quantities. To own one of these special editions it is very expensive. Very minor differences are evident on this model. One of the particuar variances about it is the:

"Specially made custom wood back strap."

I've made contact with a local grip manufacturer who will do custom wood grips. I'm curious if anyone would be interested in getting a custom wood back strap. It might be cool to have an exotic wood one done. I'm going to leave one of my back straps with him to do a prototype, and when it is done, I'll post pics. If we can gain enough interest we may get them made much cheaper than a "custom" job.

Just a thought!

Thanks for your responses.

RevMan
Joe

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not totally opposed to the idea, but I think I'd have to see a P99 with 'custom wood backstrap' inserts before I even considered the notion.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea (it's probably the easiest thing to customize on the P99 right now), but I'm having trouble picturing a P99 with wood backstraps. I know Earl's sold 'backstrap wood blanks', anybody have any pics of P99's with wooden backstraps??

--Ben

·
Registered
11 Posts
Earl's website sells the Walnut Backstrap, both a carved and a blank you carve version. So somebody already makes them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would love to have an OD Green backstrap for my P99 Military.  Would blend in nicely with the frame.  As far as wood goes.....I would have to see a few more pictures.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No offense to those who really want to add some customized look to their P99's, but that dinky little wood backstrap doesn't jump out at me like wood grips on a Beretta or Sig... I'm afraid this handgun is pretty utilitarian-like albeit totally sexy in profile. Now, I'm with Kalibr on this thing, and M700 Police... I'd like to see some different colors and mixtures of colors in plastic for the backstrap... at a minimum OD for the military models, but I'd go for purple too. Maybe even clear plexi...

--jazzbass62

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, here's an interesting thought, what if we got a plexicast green (OD Mil's) or black pearlite done (Blue's). Maybe a variety of colors. Make a fashion statement, match your cufflinks, or mood ring.

The one in that pic looks rough, I was thinking more of a Hawaiian Koa Wood very smooth with multiple layers of varnish. Could stain it to give an olive tint. I don't know pricing yet as I've not dropped off my back strap to him yet. They do some pretty cool custom work. I'll report back as soon as I have some figures.

Maybe even a brushed alum with knurling for grip texture. Or how about a very deep black onyx, the kind you can almost see into... might look good!

If you think of something cool, post it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts