Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading this articles about whether the 40 caliber is dying or not. I have a PPQ in 40 caliber; and, if we ever were limited to ten round mags ( perish the thought), I would immediately use it as an edc.
So how many here, if any, have a PPQ in 40 caliber?
How many edc a PPQ in 40 caliber?
How many regularly shoot a 40 caliber PPQ?
How many use only 9mm?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I’m still a fan of the .40sw round. I have 5” PPQ in .40 and enjoy shooting it. Practicing with that has helped me tremendously with shooting my other 5” PPQ in 9mm. The 9mm shoots so damn soft in comparison to the .40 which why I always question this “muzzle flip” people complain about so much with 9mm.
You want to experience muzzle flip shoot the .40 and 45 PPQ version, they have it but it’s honestly really manageable with practice.

I carry a PPS in 40sw which most wouldn’t enjoy shooting lol, I’m not recoil sensitive though because I still shoot a lot of 40sw. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 5” 40 as well. Picked it up recently for under $400 new. Some places are practically giving them away. I personally like the 40 S&W, and have a gen4 Glock 21 as well.
It’s my first Walther, and almost feels like it was custom built for me. No issue with muzzle flip, and ridiculously accurate.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a Shield PC .40. I really don't notice any exhorbitant muzzle flip with it or any of my .45s, so the 9mm is cake.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I keep reading this articles about whether the 40 caliber is dying or not. I have a PPQ in 40 caliber; and, if we ever were limited to ten round mags ( perish the thought), I would immediately use it as an edc.
So how many here, if any, have a PPQ in 40 caliber?
How many edc a PPQ in 40 caliber?
How many regularly shoot a 40 caliber PPQ?
How many use only 9mm?
That is exactly what I did here in NY after I got my pistol permit. Being limited to 10 round mags I picked up a SIG P250Subcompact which holds ten .40 cal rounds. It has more recoil but is manageable. My P99C is a 9mm however.

·
Registered
12 Posts
PPQ 40 EDC

My PPQ M2 .40 is in the rotation. Because of its size it is only carried in jacket weather or with a long tailed shirt over a tee-shirt. The weight is not an issue and I carry it in an OWB pancake holster that rides high and tight. It's effortless to carry. Surprisingly it feels lighter than my SR40c Ruger.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
My EDC weapons are

P99AS in 9mm
PPS in 9mm
P226 in 357Sig which was converted from 40SW and for which I retain the 40cal barrel.

My thinking is that if I am going to carry fewer rounds why would I settle for ~400ft/lbs in 40SW which is ~50ft/lbs greater on average than my 9mm when I can carry ~500-600ft/lbs in the same number of rounds with just a simple barrel swap to 357Sig?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I will give you my perspective as a paid professional instructor....then I will state my personal opinion.

- All modern calibers from .357 to 380 are statistically equivalent in threat stopping power when two rounds hit center of mass. This data can not be denied as it comes from actual shooting situations.

- Almost all self defense shootings happen within arms length and 3 rounds or less.

- You carry a firearm that works for you. Caliber and capacity are of little to no consequence if you are not capable of hitting a target center of mass, with a double-tap, using point of aim technique, one-handed, two handed and from the ready position. And then be able to take aim and make a bear shot with a hammer drop technique. Missing someone twice with a .357 is pointless.

There is also such thing as too much gun. Perhaps the shooter can’t handle properly or the round over penetrates.

Now my own personal carry is a 365. It’s small, compact, reliable and easy to make hits. I also have a small .357 Wheel gun. Those are now the only two guns I own that I would ever carry. Everything else is pretty much tricked out for gaming.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Pretty much, yeah. I've now transitioned to a FDE Glock 43 with a black 43x slide for the extra serrations, with a 7 round mag in the gun and an 8 rounder in the door pocket (Taran Tactical base plates. The 7 rounder is as flush as the factory 6 rounder). If 16 rounds of nine mill won't get you out of the jam you're in, idk how another ten or 20 will, lol. Life's not a video game.
In addition, it's super thin and doesn't print even in a jeans front pocket (using a a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster).

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I don’t have any “proof” of this or any actual real data to support, but I do wonder how a situation might look in court when it is revealed that the “good guy” has four full magazines.

On the other hand, I have seen any data or even one story of a single SD shoring where someone saved their own life because they have 50 rounds on them either.

One trap we need to avoid is constantly thinking of that one crazy situation that justifies some twist.

The biggest tool we have is our own heads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts