Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New P22 owner. Out of the box this unit shot low right. Changing the front sight corrected the low shots. The gun still shoots very consistently right. I found that the barrel is canted to the right .035” in relation to the frame.

This unit had a lot of feeding problems. I used it to re qualify my ccl today and had 4 out of 30 fail to feed using cci mini mags.

The place I bought it claims the feeding problems are normal and it’s a cleaning issue. I am thinking the out of square barrel is causing drag on the slide.

So far this would make a better hammer than a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
726 Posts
You can test your theory about drag on the slide by taking the spring and guide rod out and reassembling the thing then work the slide back and forth by hand. It should be a nice smooth action until you get to where the slide meets the hammer.

When I start getting feed or eject issues, I know it’s past time for a good cleaning.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
New P22 owner. Out of the box this unit shot low right. Changing the front sight corrected the low shots. The gun still shoots very consistently right. I found that the barrel is canted to the right .035” in relation to the frame.

This unit had a lot of feeding problems. I used it to re qualify my ccl today and had 4 out of 30 fail to feed using cci mini mags.

The place I bought it claims the feeding problems are normal and it’s a cleaning issue. I am thinking the out of square barrel is causing drag on the slide.

So far this would make a better hammer than a gun.

Can you post some photos of the crooked barrel. I've never heard of one on a P22. The rear sight is adjustable for windage. It is possible to not properly index the barrel sleeve. There is a small notch inside the frame boss that needs to be aligned with a cutout on the rear of the sleeve. Mini Mags should certainly be powerful enough to make the pistol function. Don't let the position of the muzzle with regard to the barrel throw you off. Most do not sit exactly in the center of the slide hole.

Have you rested the pistol on a sand bag and carefully fired it? Can you describe your feeding problems? The pistol does have a lifetime warranty....but something might be easily sorted. 1917

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can probably deal with the barrel. I had adjusted the rear sight to compensate. But the adjustment was significant.

My biggest feed problems are just a lack of the slide closing. I can hand cycle and get about 20% failure where I have to nudge the slide to get it to pop closed. I have been careful to ensure that I am pulling the slide all the way back. I guess knowing that, it’s hard to call it a feeding problem, when the slide is hung up.

If i remove the magazine and hand cycle, it closes just fine.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
The rear sight on the P22 many times needs to be adjusted to the left a bit. The reason is that there is about 0.009" clearance between the slide grooves and frame rail. When the slide closes, it moves a bit to the right due to the extractor riding up on the right side of the chamber. This pressure can move the slide full right at the rear. This of course might require the rear sight to be moves to the left a bit. But, a little should go a long way on a short barrel pistol.

The slide should close, all the way, every time. The first thing to check is if a round will freely drop in the chamber. If it won't, the chamber needs scrubbing out. 20% failure is terrible. It needs to run 100% with good ammo. All of mine do. Clean the magazines....and that means on the inside. Disassemble them and make sure the follower runs up and down smoothly....all the way up. A .22 cal blowback pistol operates of the small recoil of the cartridge which means the recoil spring must be relatively weak. The hardest round for the slide to push out of the magazine and chamber is the top one, followed by the second round. As the stack goes down, the rounds are more easily removed. Someone was recommending that on one of the old, real PP .22 pistols just the other day...to leave out a couple of rounds so the $700 pistol will cycle. That isn't necessary with the P22....they run fine, full mag and then some.

The hammer does drag with considerable friction under the slide....so lube it along with the rails, the barrel sleeve and recoil spring assemble. Then shoot it. I expect the pistol might benefit from more shooting, a cleaning and lubing. I use dry moly powder myself but a light oil works fine. It is absolutely essential to hold semi auto pistols firmly...this is especially important with light weight, short barrel .22s like the P22.

I've clipped recoil springs over the years for this or that test until the spring was so weak it would barely close the slide.this was due to the extractor riding up the cutout and it being more powerful than the recoil spring...but you should not be having that issue with a full recoil spring. Make sure the rounds easily drop all the way into the chamber. And shoot some more. Ask any questions you are concerned about. And, if we can't sort it....Ft Smith will look at everything on their dime including shipping. 1917

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had stovepipe problems for years with mine. Go to a one piece guide rod with a captured spring and use Amsoil synthetic gun oil. Keep it spotlessly clean and use CCI minimag's. You are still going to have problems. I keep this handgun and bring it to the range to show people what not to buy. If you want a 22 that will never fail you than find a
Beretta 70S. Of all my handguns the Walther is the worst.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
If you are having live rounds stand up it is a magazine problem. If the slide is closing on a spent case (stove pipe) it is likely either weak ammo or limp wristing. These light weight, short barrel pistols must be held firmly. About 2007 Walther issued the pistol with short stagger slot mags and these caused all manner of misfeeding issues including allowing a live round to jump out of the pistol while chambering the second round in the stack. Change mags and there would be no issue. Years ago they would replace those bad mags with new ones.

I should add, all of the guide rods are one piece and made of steel. 1917

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have had stovepipe problems for years with mine. Go to a one piece guide rod with a captured spring and use Amsoil synthetic gun oil. Keep it spotlessly clean and use CCI minimag's. You are still going to have problems. I keep this handgun and bring it to the range to show people what not to buy. If you want a 22 that will never fail you than find a Beretta 70S. Of all my handguns the Walther is the worst.

While I've not owned a P22, the many experiences I've read about like yours are the reason why I bought Ruger Mark III a few years ago as a dedicated .22 pistol. Aside from the somewhat tedious field strip/reasembly (it's not nearly as bad as the internet makes it out to be), it's been 100% flawless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a chance to shoot some more. I found that my feed issues are with Magazines loaded with 7 or more rounds.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Is this a new P22 or an older one. There should be no issue with 10 rounds in the mag. When fully loaded you should be able to still move the follower up and down a bit. It is helpful to tap the mag sometimes to make sure the rims are staggering as you reach the 10th round. The recoil spring does have to work a bit harder to remove the first couple of rounds from a fully loaded mag as the mag spring is almost fully compressed. But, you should not be having this issue at all unless you have some of the old no slot or short slot mags from a long time ago.

I'd disassemble the magazines and make sure everything is clean inside. If you can't sort it....a call to Ft Smith might be in order. They have plenty of mags. If you need pictures or any measurement from mags that work 100% just holler. Proper functioning mags are as important as any other part on any semi auto firearm. 1917

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This was a new purchase, so I would assume the gun is relatively new by age.

Was able to get a little more data yesterday. I’ve used 3 different ammo choices with varying results.

1. CCI mini mags 40gr copper round nose. Very high rate of FTE. The spent shells need agressive prying to remove.

2. CCI mini mags 36gr copper hollow point. A high rate of empty chamber. Hammer is getting cocked by previous round.
(This really sucks. I bought a case based on reading that CCI Mini mags were the catzazz)

3. Federal 36gr copper hollow point bulk pack. This was by far the best. Failures seemed to be far fewer.

So far, I cleaned, cleaned, cleaned, smoothed the hammer and installed a captive spring.

Early on I emailed tech support about an un related issue. Got a response, but no answer to a follow up reply I sent. I called, left a voicemail and no response. Yesterday I found a form form service request. We’ll see.

Is there a goto smith I can send this gun to and get it sorted out? The place where I bought acts like it’s just a break in issue.
I’ve put 700 - 800 rounds through and it’ not getting any better.

I really want to get this in the hands of a trusted expert to either validate/fix or to tell me there id nothing wrong. Getting fixed would be great. If in fact this is just the nature if the beast, I can trash it and look for a plinker that works.

I do appreciate everyone’s responses. I know my posts are hair-brained from the out side looking in. I am spoiled with my Springfields. They just work flawlessly round after round mag after mag.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
This is exactly the same issue Thirdflat was having. His pistol had something wrong in the chamber and the more powerful ammo, CCI Mini Mags, would get stuck. Since you have said you are having the same issue where the spent case is having to be pried or driven out and this is happening with the more powerful ammo....then it appears you have the same issue. That thread is around here somewhere recently. After a trip back to Ft Smith where the chamber was re-honed he reports no more issues. This is a problem I have never read of during the 18 year history of the P22. So, something is wrong in the machining of the chambers on some barrels. Walther usually has excellent barrels and a problem like this is usually associated with a dirty chamber.

Since the lower power rounds are cycling fine....chamber problem. We tried our best to get good photos of the chamber, mine and Thirdflat's but, that is a hard area to photo. My spent cases have no scratches on the spent cases. Sounds like quick call needs to be made to Ft Smith. They will e-mail a shipping label and pay for everything. 1917

The case walls are smooth with no indentations or scratches. This is what they should look like. Calling service works better than e-mails in my opinion.

Above is a picture thirdflat posted of some of his stuck ammo. You can see indentation on the side of the case. You should absolutely not have any such marks from a clean and properly machined chamber. Red arrows point to the indentations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After having the chamber honed under warranty, I can report 0 stuck shells after 300 rounds.

Still have too many instances where round 2 doesn’t chamber when using a full mag.

Overall much much better!

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
That sounds better. What ammo? Still CCI Mini mags? The hardest round for a semi auto to remove from the mag is the top one when fully loaded...however, this isn't usually a problem with the P22. Is this a new QD with the captive spring or a Q model with the longer spring? I've never had this problem with any number of P22s. What exactly is happening regarding this stoppage? 1917

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That sounds better. What ammo? Still CCI Mini mags? The hardest round for a semi auto to remove from the mag is the top one when fully loaded...however, this isn't usually a problem with the P22. Is this a new QD with the captive spring or a Q model with the longer spring? I've never had this problem with any number of P22s. What exactly is happening regarding this stoppage? 1917
Yes CCI both 40g and 36g.

The feed failures happens with both the stock spring and aftermarket captive. The first round ejects, the hammer cocks, the slide is fully closed. Just no cartridge in the chamber.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Try a firmer grip. That is a classic symptom of a short stroke. The slide is not moving far enough rearward to strip the next round from the mag. This is common with ammo that isn't powerful enough to cycle the slide or bolt but the CCI rounds should be powerful enough. You can cause a short stroke by not holding the pistol firmly with each shot. This can even cause problems with a .45 caliber pistol. Semi auto pistols need to be held firmly, not in a death grip, but firmly with wrists locked. I assume the 36 gr are Mini Mags. They should reliably cycle.

Also, you might take the mags apart and make sure they are clean on the inside and that the follower freely moves up and down. 1917

·
Registered
72 Posts
My P22 had to have 1/4" cut off the recoil spring to function. Now it feeds everything fine, including MiniMags and my wife's carry ammo, CCI Stingers, or "stangers" as 22 Plinkster calls them. Suppressed or not. By now, she might have what could be called an older P22, don't know. It's been a while, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts